Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 9 years ago

Can I still major in Chemical Engineering?

I am a freshmen and just started College at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. It has a very tough Chemical Engineering program, and I find myself constantly surrounded by very smart people. Most people would consider me smart as well, having graduated high school top ten of my high school with a GPA of 4.2. However, I've gone through a lot since my parents moved halfway across the country the week I left, I got a new boyfriend that takes up a lot of my time, and getting used to college was tough. For first semester, my GPA was 2.84... The required GPA to get into Chemical engineering is a GPA (technical, I think) of 3.2. My technical was lower I think. Also, my lowest grade was in Chemistry, in which I got a C. I am not a natural at Chemistry. Should I wait to completely quit on my foolish embarkment of Chemical Engineering, or do something else like Environmental Engineering (which is easier, supposedly)? My boyfriend has a GPA of 3.4, and it's kind of making me doubt myself. Help?

Favorite Answer

Before you change majors, go talk to one of the ChE professors (and/or your adviser) and ask him/her about your situation. You may be being too rough on yourself, you could be just getting used to the university life and course difficulty and what study habits you need to acquire. If you really like chemical engineering, you may need to give yourself at least one additional semester to see what happens. But do you like chemistry even if you are not a "natural?" Chemical engineering is so much more than pure chemistry, but that is what you have add to engineering as a ChE.

I got an undergrad degree in chemistry, even though I struggled with it in a tough program. After working in a plant for several years, I went back to school and got a ChE degree, so I know the difference between the two. My ChE professor would say when we were designing chemical reactors, "if you need that detailed information, go ask a chemist." So a detailed knowledge of chemistry is not needed to be a successful ChE, but it is a hoop you have to jump through to get to the degree.

The bottom line is don't give up hope. Being in college is a way to learn about yourself, what you like and what your abilities are. If you talk to others and know you have given it your best shot then don't be afraid to change to something you like more. But do it out of self knowledge, not fear.

Source(s): ChE

I'm sure you don't really need someone to answer this for you.

If you really want to be an engineer, dump the boyfriend and get to work....... but actually a 2.84 GPa is probably still a little above average, maybe you can still keep him.