Jesus was circumcised on the eighth day, why Christians not following Jesus?

Genesis 17:10 This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised. 11 And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you. 12 And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed. {he that is eight.: Heb. a son of eight days} 13 He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant. 14 And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.

Genesis 17:12 For the generations to come every male among you who is eight days old must be circumcised, including those born in your household or bought with money from a foreigner--those who are not your offspring.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The origin of male circumcision is tribal marking or slave marking. The Egyptians did it, mostly to their slaves and then the Israelites did it. The jews did it as a sexual sacrifice (giving up some of the pleasure of sex) but it was probably forst done to them to mark them as slaves. However, even the Jews only cut the very tip off, until many Jews tried to look natural around the Greeks and the Rabbis started the radical mutilation that is done in the US today. According to most recent research, the passages in the Bible (including Genesis 17) that command circumcision were added in the 6th century BC by the author known as the Priestly source. As such, humans were the start of this not God. Circumcision is not part of the Christian religions.

Christians do not circumcize because it is a mutilation of the human form -- harm to Gods creation- and repugnant to western culture, which Christianity developed in. It may be noted that the traditions of Western Civilization may well have rejected the message of Love of JC if it was also a requirement to harm your child. Paul picked up on that and his view prevailed. Western culture looks at circumcision as harm to the natural form, harm to a defenseless baby and therefore at odds with the Christian message of love your neighbor. It is never appropriate to take erogenous tissue away from another human without asking them., not to mention pain and permanent lose of pleasure, function and mechanics.

The main message of Christ is to love God and love your neighbor as yourself. He also pointed out that the LAW (jewish law) was not important except to the extent that they relate to love of God and neighbor. So even though he grew up with tradition and was respectful, he made it clear that the only important rules are Love of God and neighbor.

Take this to the next level. Cutting off parts of a baby boys penis (what you call circumcision) is known to cause pain and remove pleasure for life from another human. As such, it is against the basic Christian rule of do unto others as you would have them do to you. It is never appropriate to take erogenous tissue away from another human without asking them. .

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

For the Resurrection was coming through faith so that what came before as skin was but a token.

The 8th day was The First Day called Sunday on the Gregorian Calendar.

Neither c ir *** ci sion was anything compare for there were many days to come.

8th set in Genesis by Verses grouping was Methuselah at 969.

For example: 969 x 8 = 77 52; + 20 years joshua = 7772.

If - 2,000 = 5772 years. Circumcision..

If 5 is added to 52 to bring 57 and the 77 are inverted across the division in the middle of the digits:

• 8 years ago

Because Jesus was born a Jew. Christians are not. the Mosaic Law, which called for circumcision, applied to Jews until the day of Christ's execution. We don't practice animal sacrifice either :)

• Beery
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

The whole point of Christianity was to supersede the old law. Modern Christians replaced a psychotic animal and penis sacrifice with a more humane myth that derives from a barbarous Roman execution.

People should be ashamed of believing such childish nonsense. But they seem to enjoy behaving like children.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Paul argued that circumcision was no longer required and successfully convinced peter the Chief Apostle that he was correct in this and so Peter changed his view and teachings on circumcision.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Oh for crying out loud, he was JEWISH.

And the New Testament is against circumcision.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Hi! I'm a pastor. Christians don't have to do it because Jesus already did it for us. He fulfilled all of the Law for us. Now, anything Jesus did, God counts us as having done, and anything bad we did, God counts Jesus as having done. He traded places with us. He lived a perfect life and then died for our sins. He gave us His righteousness and took our sinfulness.

• Chaya5 years agoReport

no its just cuz u arnt jewish and G-d said only jews need to be circumsized

• Velma
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

That is Judaism not Christianity! Are you following it? Hard to require someone to do what you are not.

Is this a case of "Don't do as I do; Do as I say"?

• Brian
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

That covenant is with the Jews, and Jesus was Jewish. I think most Christian are circumcised anyway.

• 8 years ago

The Wholly Bable is just that: wholly bable.

It was written by men to keep the masses in line. It works fine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.