John asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 9 years ago

advice on Army/Navy JAG Corps please?

so, currently i am in high school now and plan to go to college. After that i am planning on applying and going to law school (there are some other lawyers in my family). i know that i don't have to have anything set right now, but this is one of the paths i am considering and want some advice on it. so i have done some research and looked into the Army/Navy JAG programs (Judge Advocate General), and have become interested in them. i would be willing to go to training and serve in the army or navy. i have read up on them and know some about them like how you become an officer. i was wondering if anyone else had any opinions on the JAG Corps.. like what are they like?, are they a good thing to go into? etc... so any advice or descriptions about the Army/Navy JAG Corps would be really appreciated! so please give any advice. als, would it be better to be in the Army or Navy JAG Corps?? thanks.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Daniel
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The Army Judge Advocate General's Corps (JAGC) is the Army's source of legal support to operations. As an Officer in the JAGC and a practicing attorney, your responsibilities will cover everything affecting military operations, focusing on the following areas: criminal law, legal assistance, civil and administrative law, labor and employment law, international and operational law, and contract and fiscal law. The JAGC offers a wide range of opportunities-whether serving as prosecutor or defense counsel at a court-martial, advising a commander on an international law issue, helping a Soldier with a personal legal matter, or handling many other challenging and rewarding responsibilities. Duty locations include the continental United States and many installations and locations overseas.

Typical responsibilities for a first-term Judge Advocate include:

Prosecute criminal cases under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ).

Provide legal assistance (wills, powers of attorney, etc.) to Soldiers, Officers, and their families

Provide legal reviews of proposed Army actions at the unit/installation level

Provide ethics opinions regarding the use of Government resources

Represent Soldiers at courts-martial

Advise commanders of all levels on all legal issues as they arise

Most law firms offer some sort of orientation and training, and the JAGC is no different.

The Judge Advocate Officer Basic Course (JAOBC) is comprised of three phases:

Fort Lee Phase. New JAs report to Fort Lee, Virginia, for a twelve day military orientation course, which is known as the Fort Lee phase of Judge Advocate Officer Basic Course (JAOBC). The course allows time for establishing personnel and finance records, purchasing uniforms, and receiving instruction in several basic areas of military life. These include the wear of military uniforms, military customs and courtesy, and physical fitness training.

Charlottesville Phase. The military orientation course is followed by a ten-and-a-half week academic course at The Judge Advocate General's Legal Center and School (TJAGLCS) in Charlottesville, Virginia, which is known as the TJAGLCS phase of JAOBC. TJAGLCS is located on the grounds of the University of Virginia, adjacent to their law school. During this phase, new JAs receive instruction on the organization, function, and mission of the U.S. Army JAG Corps, and an overview of the practice of law in the U.S. Army. The instruction focuses on areas of law that will be particularly important to a new JA, including military criminal law, government contract and fiscal law, legal assistance, claims, administrative law, and international and operational law. Computer training and practical exercises in trial advocacy and attorney-client issues are also featured.

Direct Commissioned Officer Course (DCO). The training continues with six weeks of DCO located at Fort Benning, Georgia. DCO’s goal is to develop competent leaders. It is a rigorous six-week course in leadership and tactics designed to challenge ALL new Army officers (West Point, ROTC and Officer Candidate School graduates also attend) physically and mentally. The DCO curriculum includes physical fitness training, foot marches, combat training, land navigation training (similar to orienteering), rifle marksmanship, weapons training, practical exercises in leadership, nuclear, biological and chemical operations, use of night-vision equipment and several confidence courses featuring difficult obstacles that will challenge students to overcome personal fears.

Source(s): Best of luck to you!!
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

each branch of service has their own elite fighting force. which one is better? It all depends on many factors. If you ask the Marines to take over a smaller country and hold it, they couldn't. Just as any other branch couldn't, not without support from the other branches. So, just being a Marine doesn't make you bad *** or elite.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.