Moving OS from HDD to SSD?

Hi I'm really confused and I've been searching around the internet and I feel like I have not got the right answer that I'm looking for. Anyways I am thinking about purchasing a SSD around 60-120gb to use as a boot drive and few basic files. Although I already installed my OS on my HDD and I already used my product key. Is there a way to JUST get the OS and move it to the SSD and STILL keep the files from the HDD? Would I need to delete my OS from my HDD somehow? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Note: I still have the original CD and product key with me, if that helps at all :P

• JB
    Favorite Answer

A 60gb ssd will hold W7 and you'll have around 35gb to use for applications.

The way I would do it is unplug the HDD from your computer, install windows on your ssd, and then try to activate with your product key. It will probably say it has already been used but if you call microsoft/use their automated support it can easily be renewed for your new install. Then plug your hdd back into your computer and STILL boot with your ssd and have the HDD just as another drive. Your new install should recognize all the files on your SSD and from there you can transfer them over. Once you have all of the files you need I would format your HDD just for maintenance.

There are ways to copy your OS using 3rd party programs (perhaps just on windows OS as well?), but to me that's kind of a hassle when reinstalling only takes you an hour and gives you a clean system. I don't really know of any program to do it with but they're pretty easy to find on google.

Just to elaborate one point, you shouldn't have to format your HHD to get it to be recognized by your new OS on your ssd, but there is always a chance that it won't work.

If you have and external hd just boot from the windows disk go to the advanced options and create a system image. And once you install your new ssd boot from the disk go to advanced options and recover that disk image or you can always use disk cloning software Like Acronis or norton ghost

Or Clonezilla Live cd (free) or Minipc partition tools bootable (free)

• krome

hi in case you have an unique working gadget, it comes with an dvd of that window Disable your HDD and Open the BIOS(many times by way of prssing DEL button at startup distinctive cases) and flow to booting option and run the dvd participant first positioned the dvd in earlier restarting and the gadget will boot from the cd and there it is... you have the os installer. now, in case you dont have orignal homestead windows, make a bootible cd(by way of putting the content fabric of window immediately interior the DVD) and stick to an analogous technique.