I need a power inverter to put in my truck to run my little air compressor. Compressor is 120v 2amp?

I have no idea how that translates to power inverters that are measured in watts. What size inverter do I need?

Favorite Answer

2 amps at 120 volts is 240 watts. Problem with things like compressors is they have a huge inrush / surge when they start up. You would want to at least double the rating so that would be 500-600 watt range and even at that its no guarantee its going to work. You may be better off looking for a 12v air compressor.

• roger

a power inverter would cost more than it would to go to a local discount store and buy a 12 volt air compresser that plugs in the car lighter already. I have seen some decent air pumps for under 20 dollars that do not waste power like an inverter would converting the battery energy into 120 v (and heat) to power a small compressor.

P = V * I = 120 * 2 = 240 W

240 W is the minimum rating of inverter u need to buy. however, its better to give some safety margin. so 300 W will do.