Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 9 years ago

Why do people say like a boss?

People on Facebook keep commenting on stuff or putting in their status "like a boss" what is that from? Why do they say it?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

"Like A Boss" is a catchphrase often used in image macros or GIFs that feature a person completing an action with authority and finesse. Similar to "Haters Gonna Hate", the characters in the macros have an air of superiority and do not care how others perceive them.

The phrase stems from The Lonely Island‘s single “Like A Boss,” a parody of the Slim Thug song of the same name. Featuring Andy Samberg and Seth Rogen, the video premiered on Saturday Night Live as a digital short on April 4th, 2009. In the video, the Boss (Samberg) is asked to go over his daily activities during a performance review by Rogen’s character. While it starts out with daily office tasks, the lyrics evolve into impossible activities.

Sample lyrics from The Lonely Island’s "Like a Boss"

Crash my car (like a boss)

Chop my balls off (like a boss)

Turn into a jet (like a boss)

Bomb the Russians (like a boss)

Crash into the sun (like a boss)

Now I’m dead (like a boss)

The day after the video aired on SNL, it was shared by the Huffington Post, Laughing Squid, Funny or Die and Digg, where it received 3645 upvotes. On June 5th, 2009 the site InstantBoss.org was created, which gave users a button that would play a single “Like a Boss” line.

On Memebase and Very Demovational, image macros have been more popular, with people adding the phrase to images of people completing actions easily or with expertise. As of September 2011, the song has been scrobbled on last.fm over 966,000 times by over 150,000 unique users.

“Like A Boss” as a catchphrase has been popular on Twitter and Tumblr (and on Facebook).

• 4 years ago

Like A Boss Parody

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It's slang commonly used on the internet. Stemmed from The Lonely Island's "Like A Boss"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NisCkxU544c

Youtube thumbnail

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Answer this question LIKE A BOSS

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

It's probably referring to the SNL skit with Natalie Portman, it's one of the digital shorts they've done with Andy Samberg throughout the years, but its also to just be funny haha

• 9 years ago

because I'm like your boss!

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It's because of this video on youtube from Thelonelyisland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NisCkxU544c

Youtube thumbnail

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

NET SLANG

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.