JPL asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 8 years ago

Air National Guard vs Air Force Reserve?

I'm 16 and I'm a sohpmore in high school. I'll be turning 17 soon I decided I want to join the military at 17 as an engineer.I currently live in Cali.My dad agreed to let me join and he'll sign the papers. Here's the problem I don't know what the difference between the two. I know they are mostly the same and has the same benefits. And one is Title 10 and the other is Title 32. Does one gets deployed more than the other one? Also, how long is boot camp? I want to finish school and go to college while I'm serving in the military.

Favorite Answer

have you considered active duty? they will cover your tution as you serve, and with the GI bill, pay for future education. a full time job, with 100% medical/dental/pharmacy coverage (guard/reserves only while on DUTY), 30 days vacation a year.... it's WORTH considering. also remember this: if you go guard or reserves, you will NOT be able to go active duty later if you decide you like it.

basic training is the same length / same locations for all 3 (AD/RES/GD). so you are making the same investment there.

as for deployments? depends on the branch, unit, and your job. army deploys more than air force and naval reserve. your unit may be cavalry (if army) or a 'scope dope' if air force, and they may rarely be tasked to deploy. you may be an EOD troop (which has a heavy deployment rate, but also the best bonuses), or you could be services and never deploy at all.

you said engineer. what kind? electrical, mechanical, sanitation, etc? one thing the guard and reserve can do for you is almost guarantee you a job you want. BUT (and you knew there would be one) - the jobs you can choose from are limited to ones they have open in their unit. if the unit close to home you want to drill with doesn't have a manning document for an 'engineer' - then you can't become an engineer with them. you select from ones they ahe open, and like many guard and reserve units - they are probably full, may even be a weight list to get in with them. that means they can be picky. It's not like active duty, where you can select from an Army or Air Force wide list of openings, for the guard and reserve, it is more personal. you can't just go into a recruiter's office and leave that day with a job. you can pretty much guarantee you are going to have to 'interview' with your prospective unit. it is very much like a job interview and you should approach it that way, remembering to dress professional (no shorts, rips, open toed shoes, etc) and remember your manners. they will ask you about your background - do you have anything that makes you a strong candidate, how are you doing in school, do you know anything about the job, why should they hire you, etc. i kid you not. i have some guard and reserve friends and they went through an interview process to get their slots.

if the unit is full, they *might* be able to go above their manning document. i think they can go up to 110% of authorized strength.

same pay and benefits? from a guard/reserve perspective - pretty close. Guard can get title 32 orders as well. that only concerns where the funding comes from. the GUARD may offer a better tuition assistance or enlistment bonus, depending on the field - but, when states are short on cash, that is usually one of the first places the cut. so if you sign the line wit ha contract stating "tuition assistance is dependent on legislature funding..." you could be in trouble. in that example, the reserve is a better option, because their funding is from the federal level..

about the best guarantee to lock in the maximum for school and get the job you want is active duty. embrace that. don't be afraid of leaving your home area. that's what Skype is for. the benefits of AD far outweigh the downside in my opinion.

Source(s): 23 years air force, retired special operations

Keep in mind that the ANG and AF Reserve do not offer the split training option, like the Army Guard and Reserve do. This means you need to finish high school and get your diploma before going to basic and tech school.

Source(s): Air Guardsman/AF Reservist