What's you experience with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? (Good or bad)?

My question is what is your experience with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, its followers (also known as Mormons) and if you could get one message through to Mormons and/or non Mormons, what would it be?

I don't want 150 comments on green jello (no matter how delicious it is!) or on what crazy cultist's Mormons are, I just want to hear your story. If you were hurt or healed, or whatever happened, I'm curious to get minds jogging. :)

Here's my answer if you are curious:

I was born into and abusive Mormon family. I was outcast at church for not being perfect, for not being at church because my parents didn't take me. I was hurt by almost an entire ward. I was baptized at eight, and when I was told I was getting baptized I had to ask what that was. When I was 13 I had to ask who Abraham was, because I didn't know any better, because I had not been taught. I became more active in my teen years as well as my parents, but had many trials and problems. When I brought this up to the bishop, he was helpful, but my parents were hateful and abusive about my flaws.

I left during that time and studied many religions between 16-20 years old. From the age of 18 I decided there was no God and became an Atheist that studied out of interest... When I had spent some time and did my own personal study on both "the church" and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints instead of dealing with the people in "the church" I realized that what The Book of Mormon said was true. After studying all the facts and history of "the church" and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and not shunning that history, but accepting it and realizing my religion has flawed people just like every other religion does did I gain a testimony that could hold.

People in the church that try to act so perfect are just like any other human, hurt and living with whatever pain they had to bear. Me and my family are currently on great standing, we have dealt with the demons of the past and we are trying to better ourselves. Whether we are faithful Mormons, "Jack Mormons," or not Mormon at all (our family has all of these), we are trying to better ourselves and that is the important part to any family. Mormon or not we all have flaws.

To those who are Mormon, do not hold against someone the fact that they do not believe. That doesn't mean they aren't working towards the kingdom of heaven, it just means they are taking a different road. To those who are angry for those judgmental Mormons, (and yes, they do exist sadly) realize that those Mormons are just trying to progress, and they are also trying to help you progress. They just sometimes can't figure out what kind of help you need, so they assume the help they are offering is what you need. They get upset when you refuse that help. Its stupid, but its human.

Also, everyone relax about all the jokes! Its just a bunch of jokes, and though many of them aren't true, the fact that they are so ridiculous is part of the fun! There are a few that cross the line, but going on about what "flipping, fetching devils" the joke tellers are (pun intended) isn't gonna make them laugh less.

I know my church is true. I also know that accepting Christ in this life isn't the only way to get to the highest kingdom of heaven. Christ will have to be accepted, but if it doesn't happen this lifetime, you are not doomed. That's the great news! I know with all the things I have gone through, the trouble I have had to bear has led me to a point in my life where I am happy. I hope whatever you believe that above all, you are happy.

@hussien well, that didn't answer any of my questions and was more of an add for your own faith, but I will answer your legit questions.

1) Many others saw the golden plates such as Martin Harris and Oliver Cowdery.

2) The 150ish page that were stolen not by his wife but taken by Martin Harris against the will of God and then lost, were not able to be reproduced because they were not backed up. Have you ever translated something? If you translate it, and then later try to re translate it, it may not be the exact same due to some words that are not able to be translated exactly and vastly different grammar. So no, it wasn't the exact same. At least he admitted "hey, this got lost, its not gonna be the same."

3) Its called religion, many claims from other religions aren't backed up archaeologically... for instance, according to archaeology and science, the earth isn't just 7000 years old as the bible suggests.

4) His conviction of fraud had to do with a lack of

funds. He just as many others, had a bank fall through. He was trying to get a church off the ground, that is difficult financially. His bank couldn't stay stable, and when it failed many people including his own family lost money.

5) I do believe that Joseph met Christ. I respect your right to not believe that, but I do, just as you believe Peter saw Christ.

I am not looking for a fight over who the best religion is, I am simply trying to get experiences, and since you listed not one experience about your interactions with this religion or the people in it you get a dislike.

@lightgiver actually, the pain wasn't from those my age, but from adults towards my family. They treated me poorly by association, but i have long gotten past that, and realized that they have flaws just like anyone else. Humans are humans, they have flaws and they can work towards Christ, whether they are Mormon or not. I believe The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has the fullness of the gospel, but that doesn't mean every other church is dead wrong, and faithful believers of other religions are good people too. :) Very interesting story!

@snow I totally get that take, but just like any religion, if question are brought up, we will answer, and if false things are stated, we will explain them. That being said, there are a good amount of these "Mormon Apologists" as you say... They try to deny the bad things in our history. I prefer to say, yeah, there are somethings that the early leaders and members messed up on. They were not the mistakes of God, they

• Kerry
    Favorite Answer

It has been very very very good.

My family became inactive shortly after I was baptized at eight years old. Years later, we moved to California. On the first day of school, a young lady approached me and asked if I was Mormon. I admitted it, and she invited me to church. The people I met were friendly, so I continued to attend. Eventually, I decided that I should learn for myself whether the church was true or not. I did not want to get more involved with a church that wasn't true. I read the Book of Mormon all the way through. Then I knelt down and asked God if it was true. Suddenly, I knew it was true. I'm not sure how I knew, but I knew. I also learned that there is a God in heaven who answers sincere prayer. With this revelation, I wanted to know everything I could about the church. I read all the standard works, and all the classic works, and every book that I could find. In the library, I found a bunch of anti-mormon books, and I read some of those too. Many people told me that the church couldn't be true, and gave me one reason or another. I did a little research and discovered that their reasons were not compelling; the Mormons had a good answer for every accusation. The whole system of anti-mormon propaganda was just that - propaganda. I started the process of repentance, and strived to bring more virtue into my life. Eventually, I recognized the companionship of the Holy Ghost. It was amazing! I wanted that spirit to be a part of my life every minute of every day. A whole new world opened up to me.

I am a Mormon and have been all of my life. I find that it brings great happiness and joy into my life and direction too. I feel like I can talk to my Father in Heaven through prayer anytime and that he listens to me and loves me.

Throughout my lifetime I have been in many wards. I have found that most of them are friendly and the members are really trying to live a Christ-like life. I love the ward I am now in. I feel that I have friends here and that if I or my family were ever in need of help that th ward members would be there for us.

Their was a time though, when I was first married that I was in an unfriendly ward. The ward was comprised of those who were young and lived in an apartment complex and those who were mostly empty nester's and who didn't want to extend themselves to make friends of those who lived in the apartments due to the fact that we would not remain in that ward for long. I believe that it was not what our Savior Jesus Christ would have wanted them to do.

After we moved to a new apartment I found the next ward to be completely different. Very friendly and accepting even though their were many of us that were obviously not going to be sticking around for a long period of time.

As for your situation I think that it might be connected to the fact that you were very young and often times other young people can be very cruel and unaccepting. It's a growth process I think, and associated with becoming mature.

The bottom line to it all is that this really is Christ's church. The Book of Mormon is a true book of scripture and if the Book of Mormon is a true book of scripture then Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, called to find the ancient record, and to translate it.

I gained a true testimony of the church when I received my Patriarchal Blessing. At the time I felt so much power and influence of the Holy Ghost that I knew that the blessing given me was coming through inspiration from God given to the Patriarch. I knew that if the Patriarch had that ability and authority to receive revelation from God that he had to have the right to receive it. This he received through the Priesthood which was handed down to worthy men from the prophet Joseph Smith.

If Joseph Smith had the authority of God to perform such things as blessings, sealings etc. Then he was definitely a prophet of God and the Priesthood Authority was truly restored to the earth again.

These things go hand and hand together and the gospel of Jesus Christ fits together like a glove. One cannot be true without the other. If the Book of Mormon is true, then Joseph Smith was a prophet. If the Priesthood Authority has been restored to the earth then Joseph Smith was a prophet.

If Joseph Smith was a prophet of God then the first vision is true and all of the things that Joseph Smith taught are true. Therefore, the Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price are also books of scripture as are the Book of Mormon and the Bible.

You are very right that we as members of this great church are all on a different part of the path in following our Savior. It is a personal journey, one that we must do for ourselves. Some are further along that path than others, but our responsibility as members is to not see the faults in others but to improve ourselves. To become like our Savior.

I have been born and raised in the church. My father had been a member all his life and my mother was a convert at 14. I've been raised by very faithful parents and for that I will be forever thankful. I've seen others go through some hard things, like with your life and a couple other people on here and I can't imagine what you had to go through. I'm very thankful that you were able to feel the Lord's love in your life though and that you were given such a strong testimony.

I've had my share of trials, ones specifically made for my family and me. Our life was hard. Finances were always an issue. Yes we fought. Yes there were times we didn't like each other very much. But the one thing we never even came close to giving up on was the gospel. It is the only thing that has gotten me through all the hard times. All of us.

My dad passed away 3 years ago in April from cancer. The ONLY things that got me through his death was my knowledge that I would see him again, that our family would be forever because of the blessings of the temple and that my Heavenly Father loved me just as much as my earthly father did, if not more.

I guess the one thing (ok more like 3 things) that I would want people to know is that God IS there, we ARE His children and He LOVES each of us INDIVIDUALLY. Once we know that, the rest is just there. His word is love and His gospel is peace.

I'll dabble.

Met many mormons, lived around them all the time. Met loads of nice, Christ-loving and generous mormons. Met a bunch of judgmental pricks as well, self-righteous as all get out. Met many jack-mormons and ex-mormons. Many inactive ones. I've seen the entire spectrum. I can't stereotype mormons in one group, because like every denomination, there are many different people with different interpretations of the same stuff and have different levels of activity in their church.

I take everything in regards to gods, God, religion, with skepticism. Always have, always will. Today, with my own eyes I don't see miracles. I don't see exorcisms, I don't see magic crystal balls, I don't see things through seer stones. I don't see people parting seas, I don't see them turning staffs into snakes. I don't see angels or interpret visions as anything more than irrelevant dreams or hallucinations. I see facts from both sides of the argument, that I use to analyze which position or story makes the most sense. Using evidence that can be measured and verified by a majority of experts and scholars.

I do see a lot of fraud. I do see a lot of incredible authors that can tell the most elaborate fiction tales. I do see young people capable of mobilizing a vast amount of people with their tales. I see people that are easily convinced of anything that people tell them.

Truth is reality. It's not what makes us the most happy. I respect your position in regards to your faith. But I'm on the other side of the argument from you. When I see the mormon apologists in action, trying to explain the actions of your church and its history, I don't see unity, I see desperation. Desperation to find any glimpse of light that could somehow allow the average non-investigative mormon member to disregard our rebuttals and logical arguments against what is actually reality. There is a reason for the religious, why it all comes down to faith. Because the evidence isn't in your favor.

I know why you believe. I don't doubt you felt something while reading. I don't doubt you feel something when you're in service, or surrounded by the people you love in your church. But I don't see these feelings as anything more than emotional responses to your environment and your situation.

Mormonism just isn't convincing enough to conquer my simple skepticism.

Why did no one other than Joseph Smith see his golden plates?

Why was he unable to reproduce the 150+ pages he dictated after his wife stole them; but then rather 'revealed' another 'similar' story?

Why is none of his claims backed up by archaeology?

Why believe a man who was convicted of fraud just over a year before founding a religion?

1830, Joseph Smith founded the Mormons in Palmyra New York.

1860, William Miller, a farmer, started the Adventists.

1863, Ellen Gould White started the Seventh-Day Adventists.

I understand the superior claim to authority that the Church of Rome has. Joseph Smith and Ellen Gould White never met Christ in person but St Peter did, so there´s no argument there.

33AD Jesus Christ founded the Catholic Church.

@ Jokstica, Peter was one of the 12 Apostle; http://members.shaw.ca/bmaundy/Extras/Apostle_hist...

• Joseph

When I was about 8 years old my parents were getting a divorce and my mother was getting excommunicated from the church. I was raised by my mother. My father had little to do with my life, until after I had moved away from home.

Because of some abuse I suffered as a young child (from a member of the church) I was depressed by the time I got into kindergarten. Though I grew up outside of Utah I lived in a community that was heavily populated by members of the church, and because of the depression I suffered with I quickly became the target of bullies both in school and church.

I have seen the process people go through when they fall away from the church. I have also seen the process people go through when they come back to the church, as I was privileged to baptize my Mother when I was 17.

I am not a member because the church is a great social club. I am just barely getting to the point where I can truly open up to people and get close to them.

I am not a member because of my parents made me go. My father told me that it was my love towards him, that kept him strong in the church, and life, and the same is likely true of my mother.

I am a member because I prayed and asked God if the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is his church, I prayed and asked if the Book of Mormon is in fact His word, and through the power of the Holy Ghost I was told that yes to both. And it does not matter how much hypocrisy I see, it does not matter how much ridicule I get exposed to, or from what source that ridicule may come. Nothing can change the reality of that simple answer to my prayer.

Yet in reality despite the many bad things I have seen, I know that for the vast majority of those who consider themselves members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, they are all honest and good people who all try their best to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ.

So in summary I echo the words of Moroni as he wrote what would become the title page of the Book of Mormon. "And now, if there are faults they are the mistakes of men; wherefore, condemn not the things of God, that ye may be found spotless at the judgment-seat of Christ."

Please feel free to email me if.

PART ONE

Q: What's you experience with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? (Good or bad)?

My question is what is your experience with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, its followers (also known as Mormons)

A: I've never been Mormon but I have a lifetime of Mormon friends and family members and I've had direct experience with the LdS Church.

THE GOOD

First, I'll say that my direct "face-to-face" experience with Mormons has overwhelmingly positive. Here's how I described my face-to-face experience with Mormons in a Facebook article:

"Mormons are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Collectively they represent a rich, colorful, tapestry of personalities, talents, giftings, callings, and, yes, even beliefs.

Or put another way, I find MUCH good in the Mormon people and Mormon Culture which I applaud, celebrate, revel in and strive to protect.

...

Mormons are our family members, our friends, our colleagues and our neighbors I do NOT dislike them - in fact I love Mormons."[1]

They have always opened their hearts and homes to me and my family even though many of them know that I in my role as a Mormon Studies scholar I'm generally critical of both the LdS Church, Mormon Doctrine, and many aspects of Mormon Culture.

Second, I would also have to say that my direct experience with the LdS Church in Mormon Chapel meetings, Sunday School classes and, sadly, the funeral of a family member, has been equally positive. Their meetings are generally positive, inoffensive, include many bits of useful bits of "sage wisdom", and generally leave one feeling better than when you went in. I would liken them to what I experienced in Dale Carnegie classes and 12-Step Self Help meetings only with Joseph Smith sitting in Dale Carnegie, or Bob Wilson's chair respectively.

My experience with Mormonism began when a dear friend and I both prayerfully read the Book of Mormon cover to cover. My friend, who had LDS friends, finished her reading convinced that the book was true. However, I finished my reading with a strong conviction that God had answered my prayers with a definite declaration that the Book of Mormon was not what it claimed to be and was not the word of God.

Because my prayer had been answered in such a definitive (and negative) way, I embarked on a quest to find out more about Mormonism. Very sad and difficult years (20 of them!) followed. My close relationship with my friend deteriorated from love to veiled hostility. She was instructed by her bishops and fellow ward members to stay away from me because I asked hard questions. My friend was told many falsehoods about me and eventually, though we had known each other for almost our entire lives, she began to believe them.

When it looked as though things could not get any worse between us, God worked a miracle. He opened my friend's eyes to see things as they really were. When her bishop threatened to deny the renewal of her temple recommend if she did not break off all contact with me (we were relatives as well as friends), she took a step back and reevaluated this church that claimed to bring families together but was in reality tearing hers apart.

The amazing God of All is a God of reconciliation. By His mercy He reconciled me and my friend/relative and brought us back into a loving relationship. My friend's Mormon church leaders continued to try to manipulate her, but she was able to see the well-meaning but iniquitous controlling for what it was. We began a Bible study together and as she read the Word of God her eyes were opened further and she, too, realized the the Book of Mormon and Mormonism were incompatible with biblical revelation.

Today, thanks to God (and in spite of Mormonism), my friend and I not only treasure our renewed loving friendship, but we also share a deep and abiding faith in Christ and His merciful free gift of salvation.

Source(s): Holy Bible: http://www.esvbible.org/ Mormonism Research Ministry: http://www.mrm.org/
  • ?

Key phrase of yours. "...to better OURSELVES". Not one word or acknowledgement of Jesus Christ in your lives. Not a single one in all that... trash. And if you really were "Christian" you would clearly understand the full impact of what that says about you.

You mormons give yourselves away all the time. It never fails. Mormonism is a religion of men, not Jesus Christ. You can slap any label on your church you prefer, but it remains an organization that promotes human arrogance.

That's why I'm ...

---EX-mormon forever. Because I know your "church" is nothing but a bundle of fithy rags. And I know you can't see that. Yet.

It was very bad, no one in my ward ever said "hello" to me at my ward/church, the guys called me names and no Sunday School teacher would reprimand them for it, the females just stared at me as if they were gay, one guy knew I had a crush on him and used me because of it. One guy from another ward liked me and came to our ward meeting to see me and they teased him for liking me. My family...well we don't want to go there...yes it is the classic Mormon Persecution mania and everyone is out to get me attitude, so I just left the church for one where I was welcomed.