Mary asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 9 years ago

i need to be able to wing my foot for ballet!?!?!? HELPPPP!!!!?

okay, so i do ballet, and i've been doing it for the past 10 years. (im 14). and i think i'm pretty good, but my only problem is my feet. I have decent arches, but my feet have no *wing* to them. they are just straight across...when i tondue to the front. i want to be able to have a nice winged foot to the front. i can pretty much do it to the back, but i push on the floor to do it, and i know that is not proper. any excersizes that i can do in order to achieve the "winged" look?? and please dont tell me that i'm not supposed to wing my feet. because trust me, my feet are terriable.

and this is what i want to achieve (the front foot) http://www.blochworld.com/shop/p-172-pump.aspx

Favorite Answer

Actually, you really should not wing your foot. You shouldn't stretch for winging. You should be stretching the feet, certainly, but in a correctly pointed position. If you are using your rotation as well as you can and as correctly as you can, you should be able to achieve a good line of the foot without winging it. Once in a while a dancer will need to learn to do a teeny bit of that in arabesque (see my avatar) however, that MUST be handled hands on by a teacher and adjusted for the particular student. Winging is a form of pronation and that can get you into major trouble if you attempt to do this for tondue at the barre. It really isn't correct.

* EDIT: Winging is definitely a "style" thing, and it's not actually correct technique. Not only that, it can really hurt your toes and ankle. Even a very slightly winged foot can look very unpointed.

Source(s): My daughter is a professional dancer. I worked for NYCB (New York City Ballet)
  • Eriana

I used to wing my foot because I thought it was the right way to point my foot. It gave me horrible ankle pain, and my teacher made me stop. Mintchips49 is right, this really is not a good idea.