Mary asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 9 years ago

i need to be able to wing my foot for ballet!?!?!? HELPPPP!!!!?

okay, so i do ballet, and i've been doing it for the past 10 years. (im 14). and i think i'm pretty good, but my only problem is my feet. I have decent arches, but my feet have no *wing* to them. they are just straight across...when i tondue to the front. i want to be able to have a nice winged foot to the front. i can pretty much do it to the back, but i push on the floor to do it, and i know that is not proper. any excersizes that i can do in order to achieve the "winged" look?? and please dont tell me that i'm not supposed to wing my feet. because trust me, my feet are terriable.

Update:

and this is what i want to achieve (the front foot) http://www.blochworld.com/shop/p-172-pump.aspx

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Actually, you really should not wing your foot. You shouldn't stretch for winging. You should be stretching the feet, certainly, but in a correctly pointed position. If you are using your rotation as well as you can and as correctly as you can, you should be able to achieve a good line of the foot without winging it. Once in a while a dancer will need to learn to do a teeny bit of that in arabesque (see my avatar) however, that MUST be handled hands on by a teacher and adjusted for the particular student. Winging is a form of pronation and that can get you into major trouble if you attempt to do this for tondue at the barre. It really isn't correct.

* EDIT: Winging is definitely a "style" thing, and it's not actually correct technique. Not only that, it can really hurt your toes and ankle. Even a very slightly winged foot can look very unpointed.

Source(s): My daughter is a professional dancer. I worked for NYCB (New York City Ballet)
  • Eriana
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

I used to wing my foot because I thought it was the right way to point my foot. It gave me horrible ankle pain, and my teacher made me stop. Mintchips49 is right, this really is not a good idea.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.