HI, IF SOMEONE HAVE A CONFEDERATE STATE FLAG IS RACIST?10 PT?

• Favorite Answer

A Confederate state flag?

I don't think there is such a thing.

Are you asking about a Confederate Battle flag --- the stars and cross flag?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Battle_flag_of_t...

A rectangular variant of the square Confederate Army battle flag has never having historically represented the C.S.A. as a nation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Confederate_Rebe...

It is often incorrectly referred to as the "Stars and Bars" (the actual "Stars and Bars" is the First National Flag, which used an entirely different design)

Even though many people recognize it as a symbol of the South, it is not a flag of any Confederate state or the Confederate nation.

That flag was adopted by hate groups in the 1900s -- most of which had no association to the Southeast US.

So, if you see a rectangular variant of the square Confederate Army battle flag --- it has nothing to do with Southern pride and yes, it has racist overtones -- especially if the flag is not in the American South East.

If anyone says different, they are lying or too damned ignorant to know the difference.

• Derek

Is not. Otherwise most flags would be considered racist.

• Anya

A cousin of my mom's who lives in the South and is a history buff put it this way: A lot of people will put the Confederate flag up for the sake of history, while you have other people who are rednecks that put it upfor Southern pride in hopes that the South will rise again. So yes, with some people it is racist.

• dan

There are many CSA state flags that have nothing to do with racism. The flag that gets many upset is the CSA Battle Flag, which is really a naval jack. As you may know most units carried their state flag into battle. There is also the CSA National flag which was changed several times throughout the war. All are symbols of heritage/pride/history, but the naval jack was made a symbol of racism in the 1950's and 1960's by idiots who used the symbol to promote hate and segregation.

People care when the confederate flag is flying over a state building because the state is representative of all the people, not merely a portion and a great many people regard that flag as a symbol of hatred and ignorance. Add to that the fact that almost all the southern states didn't start flying the confederate flag over their state houses until the mid-1960's during the fight over civil rights and it becomes clear that the claim that the flag was raised to honor southern heritage is a lie. It was raised to symbolize opposition the racial equality.

Also, it's not accurate to say that "southerners" want to fly the flag. Over one third of southerners are black people who feel nothing but contempt for it and a significant percentage of white southerners think it's time to put it away as well. A vocal minority want to fly it still.

If some bozo wants to fly the confederate flag on his private property or on his truck or whatever, then I agree that it's his business. Personally, I think it's an advertisement that he's just trash, but as long as he and his buddies don't show up at my house in the middle of the night, I couldn't care less.

That flag could have more than one meaning.

It depends on how it's used and where. I used to feel it was, but then I never understood anything about the flag or the causes of the American Civil War. As I learned, there's a pride and kinship with many families who are connected with it. But there is also so many divisions and racism in this country, that anything can be used as a racist symbol. There's no doubt it is used as a racist symbol in many instances, but Not always. The attitude of the flag's owner is the best way to know for sure.

there are certainly those who would think so. the confederate flag does represent the slave owning states. and slave owning was/is considered racist

answer is yes