Does my invoice proof the payment?? urgent !!!?

There's something screwed up about my financial profile for college. they called me yesterday saying they will drop my classes if I don't pay 'em 800$ for the spring semester. I don't care if they made a mistake or not, but I have an invoice stating that the charges are payed and they even owe me 29 dollars. Whether I payed them or not, does having this invoice that I got from the college exempt me. I mean does it mean that this invoice is legal proof that they are paid and can't drop my classes. I don't want them to trick and say that this paper is wrong, can they ?? please help

I paid cash and got financial aid which was used directly to pay them. And I got this invoice from the registrar, it's not false, this is what they gave me

Favorite Answer

Sorry to give you some bad news here but read on...

..........................................................................

If you are claiming for reimbursement for travel, entertainment, gifts, or transportation expenses, you must be able to prove

(substantiate) certain elements of the expense.

The IRS (Internal Revenue Service - the United States agency that enforces internal revenue laws) has strict requirements regarding

the inclusion of documentation and proof of payment when submitting an expense reimbursement statement. The IRS is placing an

increasingly significant importance on good governance guidelines for non-profit organizations. Documentary evidence is usually

considered adequate if it shows the amount, date, place, essential character of the expense, and valid proof of payment (i.e. any

expense equal to or over US$ 75 for Rotarians/$ 25 for Staff). For example, a restaurant receipt is enough to prove a business expense

if it provides the name and location of the restaurant, the number of people served, and the date and amount of the expense. Obtaining

sufficient backup for hotel stays and event registrations are the most challenging issue for Rotary.

Taken from... http://www.rotary.org/RIdocuments/en_pdf/rits_proo...

Sorry again ;-(

Source(s): eaabc

Well, the truth matters more than the paper. For example, if you paid by check and got an invoice marked "paid," and then the check bounced, you would still owe them the money despite the falsely, if not fraudulently, obtained invoice.

I'm not saying that's what happened in your situation; just an example of what's possible. Send (or bring) in your proof of payment in the form of a copy of the canceled check, credit card statement, direct withdrawal bank statement, or however it was you paid them in the first place. It's a pain, but these things happen on occasion.