Why wouldn't the police allow me to press charges against my ex-girlfriend? Isn't that my right?

Things got out of hand with my ex and I hit her and choked her, but I had a huge mark on the side of my face. I know she started swinging back at me, so I had this mark and they would not let me press charges against her. WTF is that about? I live in Brooklyn New York.

She did press charges! I'm facing 5-7 over this crap!

Im not a troll this is real. Look me up on Facebook.

Best Answer

As stated by YOU:

things got out of hand (argument and fight)

I HIT HER, CHOKED HER (So you initiated contact first)

She started swinging back at me (Self Defense)

I had a huge mark on the side of my face. ( And how is she looking?)

WTF is that about: I presume she filed first against you (she did press charges) so you cannot file counter charges now, she is the victim (Plaintiff) and you are the suspect (Defendant).

Why don't we get it, that it takes much more to be a man and walk away, then to beat down a woman and feel it is a Macho thing. Do you realize how much control you would have to walk away and leave here in a rage. Much more gratifying then looking at a beat-down by a MACHO MAN and 5-7 years?

Thank you for admitting to your crime on the open internet.

I hope she or one of her friends has preserved this page so they can use it against you.

Unlike those candy guy-defenders who tell you women always get all the help, you need whatever therapy you are about to get. Have a nice cruise. Take some nice smelling soap.

Cool Story bro, :)

You don't press charges & neither does she --- You file a report, then its up to prosecutor to say whether its a chargeable offense

The prosecutor has a good case against you. You should have walked away.

This mark on the side of your face was it in self defense from you.

I hope you have a good lawyer as you were the aggressor not her. ---- You may be going to jail.

For a man to hit a woman does not look good in court. But you will find that out the hard way.

Also she is your ex --- You will be ordered to stay from her.if she files a restraining order. or by judge.

Hard to know from the limited information you provide.

In general the dude always loses when it comes to domestic violence. That's just another reason why you shouldn't hit females.

I mean seriously. Why would you hit a female ever? If your old lady is getting on your nerves just leave. Even if she's hitting you.. just leave.

As you've probably already discovered, it's not worth 5-7 yeras in prison.

• Walter

In order to keep from being strangled to death your girlfriend hit you. Yeah...you don't have a case. Throw yourself on the mercy of the court

You can still file a charge. It might not fly with the judge but:

In the case you explained in your question the police deemed you the actor and she was deemed the victim. It appears her injuries were considered to be more severe than yours. You are also seen as being stronger than she is. Police use these facts to determine between the victim and the actor (arrested person).

The police only stopped you from filing a charge last night because they didn't consider you to be the victim so in that instance you had nothing to file.

You can still file a charge. You need to go to court and request to file a complaint against her on your own. If the court finds probable cause you can charge her with assault.

Source(s): Me- I am a Sheriff's Patrol Sergeant

You can't press charges against a victim. Period! I read your other questions about how she had to go to the hospital. Are you kidding. You assaulted someone weaker than you and strangled her. Your done son. You need serious psychological help which I'm sure you won't get because you obviously are a sociopath. So, I hope the judge throws the book at you!

ATTENTION EVERYONE: READ HIS OTHER POSTS!

Thumbs down to you know who for assisting a criminal and putting more stress on the victim. You should not be in law enforcement!

SHAME ON YOU!

Awesome post by Walter!

• Josh

The answer is right there.

You admitted being the aggressor when you said she swung back at you

meaning she acted in self defense

1) You don't press criminal charges, the state does.

2) You could file a lawsuit against her in civil court.

You lose in either case, she is allowed to defend her self.

But if you think I'm wrong, go get a lawyer and file a suit. If you win the lawsuit, she'll have to pay your attorney's fees.