can aluminium be melted to create a weld.?

i am into scootering, just a little unsure about melting aluminium to create a weld. this area of the scooter will be used a lot on my scooter so needs to be strong. i have a way of melting and pouring the aluminium, will it set to form a strong enough bond?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

What you're talking about is called "casting", not welding. You can melt aluminum and cast it in a form (mold) to make a part but it will not bond to areas on your scooter that are already formed or are of another type of metal with out using some sort of mechanical fastener, ie: nuts, bolts, pins, etc...

The good news is, aluminum parts can be welded to other aluminum parts, but you need a TIG welder to do it.

• 9 years ago

Not a chance! A weld includes melting the base material together with the added material. If you don't have a TIG welder u could try some JB weld. It is a sort of metal epoxy that you can shape into a weld and it has very good and strong bonding properties. It can also be filed and painted after it sets. Good luck.

Source(s): Experience
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Nope. The only way is to weld it with a welder. It melts both the filler metal coming out of the welder as well as the base metal that you are joining to make a strong bond. It also needs the inert gas around the melted metal to keep out hydrogen which forms pockets in the metal.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

"Fusion welding" with uncomplicated procedures is impossible for 2 motives a million) the the vast distinction between the melting factors of metallic and aluminum. 2) the formation of brittle intermetalic compounds interior the dilution area interior the weld zone. "Welding" is only available employing the progressed sturdy-state procedures of Friction Welding or Explosion Welding. "Soldering" in spite of the shown fact that, interior of reason basic employing multiple soldering alloys, maximum frequently tin-zinc "difficult solders." in spite of the shown fact that there are some useful problems with this. If the joint is uncovered to moisture, intense electrochemical corrosion of the aluminum will result, as a results of aluminum having an improved oxidation ability than metallic. additionally, the better thermal enlargement of aluminum can bring about cracks. the main undemanding application for soldering metallic to aluminum is for electric powered equipment and warmth sinks. Soldering and/or brazing might properly be utilized to connect maximum metals to maximum different metals. whether or no longer this is useful to take action based on the circumstances, is an entire distinctive question.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Aluminum parts can only be welded together by heliarc or similar welding. Heliarc is welding aluminum in the presence of helium: an inert gas. Aluminum will not bond with oxygen present.

• Not a chance in hell that will work.

Jake, I recommend you take it to a professional welding company and have it TIG welded. This will cost you $20-$30. It will only take about 20 minutes.

• Jim Z
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Sorry, it won't work. Takes a special rod, and special machine.

• 9 years ago

I don't think so you need a welder.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.