Why haven't I seen the union protect one person from getting fired at my job (hospital)?

They weren't terminated for medical errors either.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Annie
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I think unions are becoming a thing of the past, and that is a good thing.

• justa
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

They don't protect people who are either fired with good cause, or are part of a layoff where the ones with the least time get laid off.

The idea that you have a job for life if you are in a union, no matter what you do, or what happens to the company, something promulgated by the right, is simply false.

When you are laid off or terminated belonging to a union means they have to prove you did something wrong and they aren't just laying you off because they don't like your color, or you got pregnant or you won't sleep with the boss, or your boss' mother-in-law needs a job.

There are more reasons than medical errors to get fired, if you are always late, don't complete reports, take too much time off, the union will see to it that you are being treated fairly, but they can't force the company to keep you on if you are a slacker and they won't.

If its a general layoff, then its done according to their agreement, usually last hired first fired.

Unions don't force companies to keep on people they no longer need. Just that its done fairly.

In my husbands union they have 'seven deadly sins' like driving drunk or drugged, falsifying log books etc. which will get your fired or laid off, or for some, mandatory rehab and a job when they get back.

• 9 years ago

Because that's where the power of the union stops. When layoffs occur due to lack of funds on the part of the enterprise hiring them, they have no other choice but to fire them. What would you expect them to do? Demand that they stay for lower pay? Force everyone else in the organization to take a pay cut? We're still not in a strong economy, should we expect that unions can counteract a trend that has afflicted the entire country?

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Because the useless union knows that person will be replaced by another useless dues paying union member?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

They must have been fired for legitimate reasons. I have worked in places that are union and people got fired all the time, not being able to fire a union worker is a right wing myth

• 9 years ago

They do at mine.

Lots of workers are in the SEIU and guess who the weakest links are.

You can tell which ones are in the union because they are the ones who think doing their job is an option.

• 9 years ago

Because unions are corrupt and useless.

• Alco
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Unions suck.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

You don't think they actually care about the individual do you?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.