What music do high school kids listen to today? (Please read details before answering)?

I don't want someone answering this to just list one or 2 random bands. I know Adele and Lady Gaga are obviously popular. But who else is big with the high school age crowd today. I'm not necessarily asking what your personal favorites are, but what are the stereotypical favorites of the average US high schooler?

Please list 3-5 artists that I didn't already mention for each: Country, Rap/Hip Hop, R&B, Pop, Rock/metal

Just trying to get an idea of what is hot right now. I'm a 30 something and a bit out of touch with current trends with the kids. I mostly listen to classic rock. This is research related.

Favorite Answer

Country: Lady Antebellum, Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, The Band Perry

Rap/Hip Hop: Chris Brown, Pitbull, Jason Derulo, Lil Wayne, B.O.B, Eminem, Kid Cudi, Jay Z, Kanye West, 50 Cent,

R&B: Rihanna, Drake, Mary J. Blige, Beyonce, Taio Cruz

Pop: Bruno Mars, Katy Perry, LMFAO, Maroon 5, Gym Class Heroes, Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato, Kelly Clarkson, The Fray, Colbie Caillat, Enrique Iglesias, One Republic, Hot Chelle Rae, Plain White T's, Justin Bieber, Black Eyed Peas

Rock/Metal: 30 Seconds to Mars, One Night Only, Foster the People, Green Day, Paramore

A lot of these bands/singers like to mix up their song styles, so many of them belong to more than one of these categories, but I tried my best to fit them into the correct one! Hoped that helped!

• Dan

The average US high school student rarely listens to anything besides hip hop/rap/dance/(very little)country. Most goth students listen to very old or alternative rock like Modest Mouse or The Ramones, however thats a very low percent of students.

As for country as someone mentioned above, taylor swift is about it. Unless your in a hick town school, most kids would rather listen to any other style music than country. Personally I think most country has lost its roots and gotten a bit obsessive over the same subjects.

The highest percentage of students listen to hip hop/rap/dance music, which include hundreds of artists... akon, david guetta, flo rida, kanye west, beyonce the list goes on and on.

Then you have the stoners. There are a higher increasing number of stoner kids and they listen to mellow music that has mostly reggae, some rap, and some major bass lines. Bands name themselves weird names such as Slightly Stupid, Foster the People, Steriogram, MGMT... probably to keep the interest of stoners.

Rock and metal, you have all the classics still like ACDC, Metallica, and some of the newer bands are bullet for my valentine, avenged sevenfold, atreyu. All though this group is dying fairly quickly too. Some bands try to mix in rock with hip hop like Hollywood Undead and that is something I feel like that style has a chance to catch on, but most likely wont.

R&B and any other style I didnt mention is very dead. You have a few good songs, and a few fans here and there, but all in all the average is hip hop/dance/rap/alternative/reggae. You could go on and on about how interested you are in something, but this is the general census.

Basically turn on a hip hop station in your area, and there is a good chance every single high school student would have heard it.

Well being a high school kid myself this is kind of tough to answer, many kids like pop music and rap and stuff like that but i'll name some for yaa.

-Country: Taylor Swift and that's about all I know lol

-Rap/Hip Hop: Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa, 50 cent, Snoop Dogg, Eminem

-R&B: no idea

-Pop: Katy Perry, Jessie J, Taylor Swift,

-Rock/metal: do not listen to it at all

Here are couple of popular music artists that are in right now:

Rihanna (R&B)

Taylor Swift (Country)

Eminem (Rap)

LMFAO (Pop)

Pitbull (Rap/Hip Hop)

David Guetta (Pop)

Katy Perry (Pop)

Black Eyed Peas (Pop)

Ke$ha (Pop)

That's all I can think of right now, hope it helps!

P.S. I do hope it's research related.. jokes. :D

Source(s): me

Food & Drink - Where all the kids have the good food Science & Mathmatics- All the Nerds and all the kids who are stright A's sit and study non stop Polls & Surveys - Bad Kids I'm a mix of all three ;)

Bruno Marz and Bob Marley is whats popular in my school any way...

fetty wap and short dawg