Learning Programming and making a game in six months!?

Hi im a 14 year old and im really interested in programming, i have a project in school that i have 6 months to work on and i have decided that i will try and develop a small game, but a few problems 1. i dont know any programming languages, 2. im not sure wether something like this is possible, 3. i dont know what programming language to chose, and 4. i have no idea where to start.

basicly what im asking is whats the best language to quickly learn and is suitable for game development, what types of games are easiest to make, how to learn this language, what game engine/software to use, and is this possible?

Ps. project does not have to be finished i just need something to show

Im not talking about a full on 3D game with hi-def textures and all that good stuff it could merely be a sidescroller i mean ive seen awesome things on the 48hr programming contest that notch enters into

I dont wana you any programs that make programming easy or whatever i actually want to learn something =)

I dont wana use*

Favorite Answer

Yes it is possible.

->"what i m asking is whats the best language to quickly learn and is suitable for game development"

-> You can go for any scripting language, because they are easier to learn than any programming language like C/C++/Java/C#/ActionScript . Now if you are looking for a language suitable for game development then you comes to Lua. It is the most popular scripting language in game development. And been used in many games. So your option is learn Lua.

->"what types of games are easiest to make"

-> 2D games are easier to make, you can make a pong or tetris or any single screen arcade game. Or simple side-scroller can be made easily.

->"how to learn this language, what game engine/software to use, and is this possible?"

-> The best program to learn Lua and game programming in Lua in LOVE. LOVE is a framework for developing 2D games quite easily using Lua. It is not a game maker type software, you have to do everything in Lua coding. Which is what you want. You can get it from here

http://love2d.org/

For tutorials on LOVE click here

http://love2d.org/wiki/Main_Page

Their wiki page is a very good place to start learning LOVE and Lua. Yes it is possible for you to make a complete game in 6 months using LOVE. If you just want to show then you need 1 month. If you don't believe me then check it for your self.

So my suggestion download LOVE and follow their tutorial, also check their demo, you will see how easy it is to use. If you want to go deep of Lua programming then this site may be helpful

http://lua.gts-stolberg.de/en/

Best of luck for your project !

If you're willing to do something a little outdated, I would recommend ActionScript 2. ActionScript 3 is the current version of the language, and it should be just as easy to pick up. However, I was able to make a quick and simple game in around a week knowing nothing at all beforehand with a tutorial from Kongregate (see sources). Their tutorial is great for beginners, and although the program they use is expensive, there is a trial version of it. Hopefully this will help you to "get your feet wet" with programming, as they say.

Good luck!

~Jacob

I'd hate to tell you this but just so you know you would need 6 months just to learn the language itself and this isn't recommended that often but I would recommend c++ it has a steep learning curve and it would take years to become an absolute expert at it but it is very very useful in making games and many game companies use c++ to script there games. But as I said it would take a while to learn as would java,C, and any other programming language except for one. This is a interactive scripting language that has a very clean syntax and doesn't have such a steep learning curve as c++ and is also commonly used. Its called Python look it up http://python.org/ I'd say you can learn python faster than c++ but then again you would also have to learn how to use libraries such as pygame which is a very popular python library used for making games. But if you stick with c++ there are few libraries that are commonly used and are not that hard to learn as Im told SDL,SFML, and Allegro are good ones.

Well anyway good luck!

Dear Friend, Me too love to build games. Before you start, games are divided mainly into two, 2D and 3D. Hope you know that. I've tried creating 2D Games for Java Mobiles in Netbeans IDE. visit www.netbeans.org for more details. Any way its a little adventurous to create a 3D game. You have to know at least 3D modelling for this. For modelling buildings and terrains, use google sketchUP. For other modelling, use blender or 3D Studio Max. Fortunately, there is a great game engine for non-programmers with only little coding. It is 3D RAD. Visit www.3drad.com. If you prefer, lets meet on facebook. I am a programmer, but not a designer. I hope i can help you. My facebook ID-Farseen Salam.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you would need a lot more than 6 months of learning to develop your own game (however you could make an android or ios app easily). Not to mention the time it would take (with all needed knowledge) to actually make the game.

Find something better to do.

If your teacher dosn't want to see code code, then try scratch! Its a visual programming languages, and you drag lego like blocks onto each other to form code which you can run. Its free and easy, download here http://info.scratch.mit.edu/About_Scratch .

I recommend learing C for the first time because it's mad easy. But if you want to be PRO then use Java like me.

For cheap, quick, and dirty, maybe Rebol View.