promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Moving out of United States question!?

I am a US citizen who is planning on moving to Australia after marriage. My question is, do i have to inform the government that i am moving or does the US customs and border protection do that automatically? if yes than who and how do i let them know?

please answer seriously.

thank you

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If you are a US citizen, you do not need to do anything except pay your income taxes annually on all income worldwide from every source, and report all foreign bank & other financial accounts. The IRS is getting very, very nasty with Americans who move overseas, and the reporting obligations are becoming extremely onerous. Be sure to file your annual income tax returns on time (June 15th), pay all income taxes due, and file all those reports on overseas bank/financial accounts. Keep up-to-date on requirements, and remember the vast majority of US-based tax preparers & accountants are totally ignorant on these matters. You will have to do it all yourself.

For Australia, of course, you need to obtain proper immigration visa based on your marriage to an Australian citizen.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • dahms
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

can we up sticks and settle interior the U. S. on a whim? No..IMMIGRATION..Is naive and stupid to think of in any different case.......NO passport from an european united states of america, then NO hazard..Is the U. S. that undesirable that we are taken care of on your heads like some 51st state....?! the final public of jobs are for united kingdom/British voters & voters of different Member States of the ecu Union.... A passport is had to trip of path..!!! So few individuals are regular to have one.....The V be conscious is VISA....you do no longer understand our united states of america, have not got a passport and don't understand the be conscious VISA...no longer a sturdy initiate howdy? you could come as a vacationer...Will locate IMMIGRATION manage you with plenty greater recognize than united kingdom passport holders are whilst we pass on your united states of america...we could PAY to register online for the privilege.... AGREE you DO get an advantage element for calling our united states of america the united kingdom, extremely than England, this is barely one portion of the entire.....

• Annie
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Nahhhh... I am a US citizen living in MX. Just file your taxes. As long as you show you are paying tax in your new country you do not need to file non US income in the US. You just need to show it.

• 8 years ago

If you're marrying an Australian they can sponsor you (spouse visa). You can't just move to Australia.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Me
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

You do not need to notify anyone. As long as you continue to file those US taxes each year, you will be fine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.