Cindy asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 9 years ago

Which should i do lyrical or modern?

Currently I'm doing hip hop and I wanted to do another dance too I was considering modern or lyrical. I really want the one that's a lot of work and challenging, and really makes you sweat. I like both of them, I know they come in levels, now if I do lyrical 1 will they put me it a baby class also for modern 1 would they put me in a baby class. I'm 13 by the way if it's relevant. And I know modern has slow songs(correct me if I'm wrong) but do they ever have any upbeat pieces, like in lyrical they can perform to apologize by Justin timberlake, could modern do something like that too. And if you have ever done one of the two or even both could you give me feedback on how it's is. Thankyou.

Favorite Answer

Hi there! Glad to see you wanting to learn new genres of dance, I admire people who do that. :) And it's your lucky day, because I do both lyrical and modern.

First of all, there are certain subcategories of modern. The most common one nowadays is "contemporary", and that is what I'm assuming your dance school offers. (There's also the "Graham" technique and the "Limon" technique, they are the cores which formed contemporary.)

And I think you have a slight misconception here, because Lyrical is actually made up of Modern. Simply put, Lyrical dance has modern movements, but they are performed to songs with lyrics instead of instrumentals which modern dances usually make use of. They have a different feel because the movements often follow the vocals of the song with gestures or dynamics which correspond to what is being sung. (For example, one can do a large jump into the air when the singer says "fly") But then that doesn't apply on every single word, of course. You could actually think of lyrical dance as modern with instances of lyricism, if you know what I mean.

As for the speed, modern and lyrical really do not have fixed tempos. It all really depends on the choreographer or teacher, anything is possible with modern and lyrical. Here's an example of a faster-paced modern dance piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMimr0_mxtI

Youtube thumbnail

They really aren't very good (I'm sorry if the dancers in the video see this), but you can see what I mean.

Lyrical is more emotion-oriented whereas modern really focuses on the technique and quality of movement. In fact, lyrical is an extra element of modern. It is better to have a strong foundation of modern before moving on to lyrical, because with the correct dance quality and technique, the emotion will be carried out properly and correctly. I would advise you to take up modern first, and when you are comfortable with the movement type, try out lyrical classes.

If you are unsure about the class levels, try to ask the teachers permission for you to observe a class and estimate whether you could catch up with them if you joined in.

Source(s): Been taking those two for quite a while now :)

Modern is undoubtedly my favourite sort of dance and lyrical is robust as good, however for musical theater, I might recommend jazz. It's probably the most most often used procedure for what you are concerned with. Ask if you'll be able to drop-in and take an ordeal magnificence. You can scan the waters and get an inspiration of what to assume. They are all lovely patterns of dance I might strongly recommend making an attempt all 3 =]

do both but at do lyrical