Spirituality....Are animals capable of meditation?

Meditation is said to be the progression from the mind to the no-mind. Are animals capable of being devoid of thoughts. Can they achieve a state of no mind?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OliaeMp7ao

Youtube thumbnail

Best Answer

lol! T.it show at 'Search for son' on related vids. Rarely does youtube allow that.

Whenever one does any activity with complete focus, it becomes meditation or at least with such benefits, as there is a lack of thoughts and feelings during such a state - there's just single-minded concentration.

While an animal is not capable of consciously choosing to be in such a state, it can inadvertently or sub-consciously get into it during various moments of its activities like searching/ hunting, running, mating, soaking in the sun, etc.

Example - a dog sitting on its hind-legs in the sunlight during winters with eyes closed. It's not awake nor is it sleeping. It's not thinking or planning anything. It's very very 'still'. This is that dog's meditative state, which it didn't consciously chose to be in, but which just happened to it while it was conveniently soaking up some sunlight. Same for a tiger at the precise moment of hunting - just look at some of its moves in this video - its focus and focused movements: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXvxCvs9KHc

Youtube thumbnail

This is one of its meditative states.

Now, because they are not mentally as conscious beings as we are and because of a lack of mental and emotional development in them, they'll after their brief meditative states will ultimately go back to their impulsive instincts, but no doubt they have had their fill of 'spirituality'.

• ?

" Meditation has been glorified as the most sacred vocation. Humans alone are capable of the highest effort, by which they can hasten their own evolution. In preparing ourselves for meditation, we should first acquire the ability to look within. You must learn to go about your daily routine and uninterruptedly watch the mind…Let it be a silent observer of the workings of your inner life and estimate the motives, intentions and purposes that lie behind your thoughts, words and deeds. "

Meditation has often been misunderstood as thinking or contemplation. But it is not so.

=====

Trisha

======

Perhaps no animal has 'thoughts' in the way we do, nor the constant internal chatter and feedback of the self-aware self.

They have mental processes though. It would be fine and idealistic to say that the stalking lion or the grazing zebra are in a state of mindless unity with their surroundings.

Wish I could find a reference to a beautiful Scottish Gaelic poem I vaguely remember, by Duncan Ban McIntyre, about the animals on his beloved hill Ben Dorain. He called them 'the empty-headed ones'.

Trouble is, I can't recall if he was talking about sheep or deer, or if he was praising or condemning them.

As a rancher, cattle seem to meditate while ruminating.

Plus they're shitfaced on alcohol 24/7 from the fermentation going on in their stomaches.

RScott

I am god.

what ever you take anything from any where that is equal me.

My meditation is think about everyone with pure love.

dolphins and other animals have been known to masterbate. my dog occasionally will hump my leg.

ooohhh! you said meditate. umm yea sure my dog stares at the wall with no expression and looks more at peace than any person i ever met

I think my cats meditate, they know how to abide in the moment fully focussed.

I honestly don't think so because I asked my dog and he said he'd think about it. But I think he was just avoiding the question.

I think that's the perpetual state of my dogs, until someone drops a bite of food.

Sure my dogs meditate almost all day long, and chant too!