Good books for young adults?

Any genre but mystery and horror.

Adult books as well please.

I dislike classical books and the house of night series I have read and didn't like it at all.

I have no preferences really. My favorite type of books are paranormal, fantasy, dark fantasy, humor, romance, and sad ones.

Favorite Answer

Well, what are you looking for? I know you said anything but mystery & horror, but that still leaves a lot. :) Do you have any preferences about the main character's gender and/or age? Realistic fiction, science fiction/fantasy? How much romance, if any? Anything you'd be uncomfortable reading - for instance, sex scenes, swearing, violence/gore?

Anyway, here's some of my favorite books (minus classics, mystery & horror).

Young Adult Paranormal/Fantasy - these may border on mystery:

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins (1st of a series)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (1st of trilogy)

Entwined by Heather Dixon

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (1st of a trilogy)

Waterfall by Lisa Tawn Bergren (1st of a trilogy)

Young Adult Contemporary:

Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar

*Hard to get in the US - it's only published in Australia right now. You can get it as an ebook, which I did, or you can order it through fishpondworld.com, though it's a bit pricey. Totally worth it, though! It's a fantastic book.

Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta (another Australian one, but I'm pretty sure this is available in the US through most booksellers)

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Looking for Alaska by John Green

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Adult books (all of these would fit under humor, I think, but Tina Fey's is nonfiction and other two are fantasy):

Bossypants by Tina Fey

Lamb by Christopher Moore

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (What the 80's movie is based on)

Unfortunately, a lot of my favorites are mystery and/or horror, haha. But hopefully you'll find something here that you like! Most of the young adult books I listed feature main characters that are girls aged 15-19; however, Looking for Alaska and Perks of Being a Wallflower both have male narrators. Hex Hall and Paranormalcy both have a lot of humor, if that's important to you. Waterfall is a bit more science-fiction-y and historical fiction than fantasy (has to do with time travel); I just didn't want to make a separate category just for one book. If for some reason you haven't heard of The Hunger Games, it's not really fantasy, either - it's sort of action-adventure plus science fiction, all coming together in a dystopian sort of thing (which isn't really a genre by itself, but because of the success of The Hunger Games and other dystopian novels, is becoming its own category in YA fiction).

For teens, I would say ...The Hunger Games, The Catcher In The Rye, I am The Messenger, The Blind Side, Animal Farm, Great Expectations, and Oliver Twist.

Some of them are classics but they're pretty good! I've read all of them.

-The Mortal Instruments Series is good by Cassandra Clare (first book is City of Bones). The series is urban fantasy. -Try looking into authors like Sarah Dessen,Laurie Halse Anderson, or Chris Crutcher, Caroline B. Cooney for new books outside of a series. They are fantastic authors who write really well and you can check out the many different books they have written. My favorite Dessen is This Lullaby; my favorite Anderson is Speak and also Twisted; my favorite Crutcher is Downriver; and Cooney is Face on the Milk Carton - Classics like The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton or graphic novels like Rapunzels Revenge by Shannon and Dean Dale.

i personally like the House of Night series by Kristin and P.C. Kast there are currently nine books out and they're not horror or mystery

the Fallen series by Lauren Kate (fallen angels and such)

and also i think that the mortal instruments series would be a good choice :)

thats all for now ^^ hope it helps

Source(s): i have read all of the books up until every one of the current ones heres the house of night series website http://houseofnightseries.com/