How to update Mac OS X without admin. password?

I bought a power mac g4 at a fleamarket, and need to update the software, but I don't have the administrator password. The administrator was logged on when i first started it up, but there is little I can do, and was wondering if there was a way to get past the password or reset it. I tried the keychain access but that is locked and does not show anything.

i do not have the install disk

Mac os x 10.4

Favorite Answer

Your OS version is not "Mac OS X", so TELL US WHAT YOU HAVE. My answer is for OS 10.5.8.

[All typing commands that follow require strict adherence to the exact spelling. This includes noticing where there is a space between characters and where there is no space.]

Boot to single-user mode (hold ⌘ and the S key for 45 seconds at startup).

Type:

/sbin/mount -uw /

Press Return.

{Nothing appears to happen, no problem.}

Type:

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

Press Return.

Type:

reboot

Press Return.

{Now stuff appears to happen.}

Setup Assistant appears. Create a new account, but be sure to choose a different short name than that of the original [[short name is the name of the user account folder]]. Then open System Preferences > Accounts. Select the old account, and change the password... or just delete the old account.

1

Source(s): Best Mac Antivirus http://teres.info/MacCleanerAntivirus

you will elect a Panther or Tiger set up disk to accomplish this function. Boot your Powerbook G4 with the disk interior on an identical time as preserving down the 'determination' key. Pretent to place in the application by potential of clicking on the 1st reveal. Then pass to the menu bar chosen replace password. replace the person password and the basis password - save the outcomes and restart your gadget.

• iamrlk

So when it wants a password and you click OK/Next/Continue or what ever it says it won't work without a password?

The only way I know of is to use the install disk! Do you have the install disk? If so let me know!