Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

why does christianity teach disrespect for women?

isogyny is fundamental to the basic writings of Christianity. In passage after passage, women are encouraged—no, commanded—to accept an inferior role, and to be ashamed of themselves for the simple fact that they are women. Misogynistic biblical passages are so common that it’s difficult to know which to cite. From the New Testament we find "Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church. . . ." (Ephesians 5:22–23) and "These [redeemed] are they which were not defiled with women; . . ." (Revelation 14:4); and from the Old Testament we find "How then can man be justified with God? Or how can he be clean that is born of a woman?" (Job 25:4) Other relevant New Testament passages include Colossians 3:18; 1 Peter 3:7; 1 Corinthians 11:3, 11:9, and 14:34; and 1 Timothy 2:11–12 and 5:5–6. Other Old Testament passages include Numbers 5:20–22 and Leviticus 12:2–5 and 15:17–33.

Later Christian writers extended the misogynistic themes in the Bible with a vengeance. Tertullian, one of the early church fathers, wrote:

In pain shall you bring forth children, woman, and you shall turn to your husband and he shall rule over you. And do you not know that you are Eve? God’s sentence hangs still over all your sex and His punishment weighs down upon you. You are the devil’s gateway; you are she who first violated the forbidden tree and broke the law of God. It was you who coaxed your way around him whom the devil had not the force to attack. With what ease you shattered that image of God: Man! Because of the death you merited, even the Son of God had to die. . . . Woman, you are the gate to hell.

One can find similarly misogynistic—though sometimes less venomous—statements in the writings of many other church fathers and theologians, including St. Ambrose, St. Anthony, Thomas Aquinas, St. Augustine, St. John Chrysostom, St. Gregory of Nazianzum, and St. Jerome.

This misogynistic bias in Christianity’s basic texts has long been translated into misogyny in practice. Throughout almost the entire time that Christianity had Europe and America in its lock grip, women were treated as chattel—they had essentially no political rights, and their right to own property was severely restricted. Perhaps the clearest illustration of the status of women in the ages when Christianity was at its most powerful is the prevalence of wife beating. This degrading, disgusting practice was very common throughout Christendom well up into the 19th century, and under English Common Law husbands who beat their wives were specifically exempted from prosecution. (While wife beating is still common in Christian lands, at least in some countries abusers are at least sometimes prosecuted.)

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Taking verses out of context never leads to truth. But, then, that isn't really your purpose, is it?

For every passage asking women to submit to their husbands (which means that they are recognized to begin in a superior role), there is also a passage asking men to do the same. Taking the Bible as a whole, we see that men and women are seen as equal partners who are being asked to put the other person's needs ahead of their own.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Erika
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

i've got seen you till now. I enjoyed you. i think you picked my answer as terrific answer. And returned, i think of you seem as though a effective guy or woman. If in user-friendly terms extra christians have been such as you, this incredibly may be a various place. regrettably maximum christians are so yet so fervently entwined with their ideals they variety of forget approximately that there is an entire variety of people obtainable that don't unavoidably could be comparable to they... as properly, the information "christian" has a brilliant variety of denominations and that they even disagree with one yet another!! heavily? i'm happy you're considered one of those effective guy or woman, and that i beg you to attempt and tell your fellow christians to be extra christian and much less zealot. there replaced right into a Mexican ruler as quickly as who mentioned an incredibly genuine word: "the line to peace relies on the honor you practice to the rights of others." =)

• Linda
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Idiocy does not become you.

Source(s): a woman
  • 9 years ago

Another failed troll.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.