JWs: Are you allowed to read apostate Ray Franz's book, "Crisis of Conscience"?

This book was written by a former member of the Governing Body. This is stuff that everyone should take a look at, especially those who give time and money to the WTS. If you told one of your elders that you are reading this book, would they mark you, attempt to disfellowship you, or do nothing? At the very... show more This book was written by a former member of the Governing Body. This is stuff that everyone should take a look at, especially those who give time and money to the WTS.

If you told one of your elders that you are reading this book, would they mark you, attempt to disfellowship you, or do nothing? At the very least, they would discourage you from reading it.

Are you aware that one of the indicators of a cult is that the group in question forbids members from reading material that is critical of the cult? Here are some other indicators:

-Repetitive instruction presenting the same material.

-New members are told to break ties with outsiders and limit communication with non-cult family members.

-denunciation and shunning of ex-members.

-verbal attacks undermining the authority of outside institutions (religious, governmental, educational, medical)

-a unique vocabulary with "loaded" language, reinforcing the sect's rules.

-an orchestrated superiority/inferiority-guilt complex. Former members who have not been deprogrammed commonly report problems with anxiety, fear, and disorientation, as well as difficulty reintegrating into society at large - symptoms often associated with victims of mind control.

[taken from "Answering Jehovah's Witnesses Subject by Subject" by David A. Reed, p.164]
Update: Look guys, don't just tell me that you would never WANT to read this book, okay? Just tell me if you would be ALLOWED to read it if you actually wanted to. Thanks.
Update 2: When persons are in great danger from a source that they do not suspect or are being misled by those they consider their friends, is it an unkindness to warn them? They may prefer not to believe the warning. They may even resent it. But does that free one from the moral responsibility to give that warning? (The... show more When persons are in great danger from a source that they do not suspect or are being misled by those they consider their friends, is it an unkindness to warn them? They may prefer not to believe the warning. They may even resent it. But does that free one from the moral responsibility to give that warning?
(The Watchtower Magazine, January 15, 1974)

-----Quoted by Ray Franz in his book.------------
Update 3: Being loyal to the Governing Body and being loyal to God are two differnt things. Franz is not warning you about God; he is warning you about the Governing Body and the WTS.
Update 4: I think one of our eminent responders needs to correct this Freudian slip:

"I do not believe that books like this are not going to sway those who have thoroughly examined Scriptural Truth and are strong in their spiritual life."
Update 5: @Bar-Anerges: Just busting your chops, LOL! We are all imperfect, as Mindy always points out ... some more, some less :-P
25 answers 25