Kay Lovely . asked in PetsHorses · 8 years ago

Is craigslist an unreliable site to buy a horse?

I see a lot of people don't necessarily like craigslist... But I'm having trouble finding a horse to buy! I just can't settle for one. I obviously have plenty of time, but I still would like to have a list of a few horses I like. There's a ton of horses on craigslist, but I've ventured away from there since people keep telling me its unreliable? As in the people are shady, the horses are shitty, etc? Is this true?

What are some good sites to look at? I think I've murdered the Dream Horse website, so please don't suggest that lol

Best Answer

Craigslist is perfectly fine if you're looking for a project horse or want to give a neglected horse an upgrade in owners.

You can also find a decent trail/kids/pleasure/husband/companion horse on CL.

Basically, the lower-end and cheaper horses are all you'll find on there. You may find horses advertised as finished show/competition horses on there but I'd scrutinize those ads very, very carefully. A reputable barn will sell their horses via word of mouth, on the competition/show circuit and via breed organization publications and have no problem doing so, they do not need to stoop so low as craigslist.

Depending on what you are looking for you may or may not find it there. Want a nice trail horse? Want a project to train? Want to take in a neglected horse to rehab? You'll find it on craigslist.

Want an FEI schoolmaster? Want a finished Saddleseat horse? Want a push button cow horse? Dream the eff on.

Also be prepared to deal with a lot of loopy nut-hatches and flat-out idiots on craigslist. Let us not forget our own Meikomama aka Wilder Horses aka Melissa Sawiki is the queen of craigslist horse dealers and quite possibly the best example of the low-life worthless horse-dealing scum-sucking bottom-feeding pieces of sh!t horse abusing horse neglecting skanky @$$ hoes you'll ever encounter on craigslist. Pray you don't run across anyone cut from her cloth when perusing craigslist and if you do run for the hills.

• Nancy

It all depends on the horse. People stereotype a ton now a days and that's why the mustang is so cheap. I have a Appendix that is 3/4 thoroughbred, and she behaves more then my sister's QH and sometimes even better then my 18 y/o Paint mare. Papers dont really matter, you just have to make sure that it's sound and doesnt have coggins. Make sure yiou have a vet check and a soundness exam before you buy a cheap horse! See if you can pay half the money and do a thirty day lease deal to see if it works out. not every horse will be a trail horse, so you might have some problems with different things on the trail if he/she's never been trail ridden. The only thing you would mneed the papers for are to show and tell exactly how old the horse is. Other than that the ones without papers are sometimes the quietest.

Look at it this way, it's just as easy for a shady person to put a crappy horse on any website, whether it be equinenow, horseville, barrelhorseworld, or craigslist.

I found my first horse on craigslist, and he was the best horse anyone could have. He was green broke when I bought him, and the people were very honest about that. In fact, I'm friends with his previous owners on Facebook now, and we talk often of him.

If you see a horse you like, go look at him. If he's a dud, well you certainly do not have to buy him. Just get your pre-purchase exam, and try him out a few times. My trainer has bought and sold several, quality show horses on Craigslist, and some of them had even gone to Congress and World shows.

If you know what to look for, it's pretty dang easy to spot out the shady dealers. If you don't know what to look for in a horse or barn, take a trainer with you. Most of time, I don't see a whole lot of just great horses on Craigslist, but there are several diamonds in the rough on there.

Some other sites to look at are: equinenow.com, equine.com, horseville.com, horsetopia.com, barrelhorseworld.com (if you're looking for a barrel horse), bigeq.com (hunter/jumper horses), and freehorseads.com are just a few.

Good luck

• It's not the site thats unreliable it's the people that go on it. I've never heard of the site personally but if dealers know they can make sales on it then they will go on it and put a load of bull. You just need to make sure that you go and look at the horse and see that its being kept in good condition on a well kept yard, the chances are if the yard is dangerous and untidy, the owner doesnt care about the horses. I've been told never to buy from a dealer but in fact you can get gold dust if you know what to look for, don't pass up what could be your life partner, just because the site has a bad reputation, it's not the site thats selling the horse, its the owner ;) Good luck

• Go Big

There is nothing wrong with Craigslist.

Are there shady people? Yeah, there are shady people on Dream Horse and Horse Clicks and Equine Now.

Are the horses shitty? No more shitty than the horses on other websites. It is true though, that you will not find a $50,000 barrel horse on there.

It is unreliable? Not necessarily. I've dealt with wonderful people from Craigslist. I've also dealt with liars and "shady" people, just like I've dealt with wonderful people and liars from Dream Horse.

Plus, it's not like the horse gets a say in which website his owner puts him up for sale on. What website the horse is posted on for sale is not a good indication of a good/bad horse.

There are definitely lying people selling crappy horses on craigslist, but there are some good ones on there too. If you find one you like, just talk to the owners for awhile, go see the horse, get a vet check, try the horse, etc. You can usually tell a lot just by talking to the owners. One of my friend's has bought and sold horses on craigslist and she hasn't had any problems with it. There are good horses there. You just have to be picky.

Any website can have scams, crap horses, & crap sellers.

It is YOUR responsibility to be an good, smart & informed buyer.

I bought a horse for a friend through Craigslist. I looked at ads, narrowed down to about 10 horses that I thought would be worth looking into, then e-mailed for more general information, then narrowed down the list to 6 to call on & visit, spent a couple days driving around to go see, check out, ride etc... each horse; then narrowed the horses down to two to go back & visit, ride, & check out again.

The horse my friend ended up buying worked out great! & I saw the sellers the next year at a local show. They were happy to hear he went to a good home.

I've also looked at

Equinenow.com

Horseclicks.com

Source(s): 26 years horse ownership & experience

People who argue against Craigslist have a point- you're likely to find horses there that are of.. lesser quality than those whose owners have taken the time to advertise them on a more reliable site. But, if you're having a hard time finding a horse, don't completely rule it out, because it all comes down to the horse itself- not where you found it. I personally LOVE EquineNow! It's organized, specific, and it usually has a great variety. But just remember that "Craigslist" people and horses can be found on any site- always be cautious and picky when horse shopping! Best of luck to you and your future horse!

• JSHalo

equine.com is my favourite site. Otherwise, dreamhorse and Big Eq are the only other ones I use.

Certainly don't rush into buying something you don't want. Be sure it's the horse you're looking for. It took me a year to find my first horse!

I'm probably one of the few people on here with experience buying/trading horses on CL, and I've not yet had a bad experience, nor has a former accquaintance of mine who trades horses regularly on CL.

The big thing is, you have to ask questions and a lot of them, and be knowledgeable reguarding conformation and signs of illness. Selling on CL, people expect you to bring your trailer and load the horse, so be sure it's the right horse for you and don't be pressured into walking away with one that's not right for you. Also, be sure to take someone with you (like your dad or male friend) - the more the merrier, because, yes, some people are shady. I've heard all sorts of horror stories, so I'm always careful when going to meet someone.

Most of the horses look awful, but with a quality de-wormer, good hay/feed, and a good trim they'll come out sparkling next season (most will have that nasty fluffy winter coat that screams malnourished).

I got my TB off of craigslist. The only thing wrong with him is that he kicks. Small price for what turned out to be a lovely horse bought sight unseen. Also got a lovely (read: stunning) QH filly, also for under $150. She hit her head on the hay ring and died, unfortunately.

My former friend has traded and bought at least 15 horses from CL. The ones she's sold after she bought were ones that ended up not fitting into HER programme, but she never complained about them. Well, there was one that couldn't be caught and a few of them have been very, very bad about getting their feet done.

• LK

I would never buy a horse through Craigslist. Simply because it's a website where the scummiest of the scum come to hang out and you can find ANYTHING from crazy to lame.

Then again, if you take all precautions and go to see the horse a couple of times and ask all the questions and have the horse vetted independently and talk to his regular farrier and trailer load him yourself and insist on a four-week trial period and cover yourself with a lawyer-set up contract and all THOSE things.... then I think you should be just as safe as on any other site. Don't stay away from the site on principle because it's a scummy place, but DO be cautious.