mormons/lds which part of the Bible do you believe?

I know you believe in the Book of Mormon. But everyone knows that they contradict each other. And I understand that you believe that some of the translations have skewed the message. But then why do you quote the Bible and what makes you quote those verses in particular? How do you know the verses you believe are true are really true?

@gumby its not a claim your own people say these things. You probably don't know your Bible but one of the contradictions is saying the God is flesh and bone and that you may become a God. There are many more things as well this wasn't a "claim" your people believe that the translations have messed up the word of God. Im not pulling this out of my *** here.

@zootal and gumbo

The Bible plainly states that the gospel, with its inclusion of Gentiles, was not fully revealed until after Christ's death. 1. Eph. 3:3-7 Paul writes "by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit; that the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel: whereof I was made a minister ...... (See also Col. 1:26; 1 Peter 1: 1-12; Romans 16:25-26) However, the Book of Mormon maintains that this knowledge was had in 545 B.C. 2 Nephi 25:19 "For according to the words of the prophets, the Messiah cometh... his name shall be Jesus Christ, the Son of God. ... (v.23) For we labor... to persuade... our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God

However, the Book of Mormon story claims that descendants of the tribe of Manasseh (Alma 10:3) were made priests. 2 Nephi 5:26 "And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did consecrate Jacob and Joseph, that they should be priests and teachers over the land of my people." 6. The Old Testament teaches that the first born of the flocks were to be given automatically to the Lord. Sacrifices were to be made from their remaining animals. Exodus 13:12 "That thou shalt set apart unto the Lord all that openeth the matrix, and every firstling that cometh of a beast which thou hast; the males shall be the Lord's" (See also Ex. 13:2; 22:29-30; Numbers 3:13; 18:15-18; 2 Sam. 24:24). Deuteronomy 12:6 "And thither ye shall bring your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, and your tithes, and heave offerings of your hand, and your vows, and your freewill offerings, and the firstlings of your herds and of your flocks." The Book of Mormon claims that the Nephites were keeping

Someone should respond to the contradictions plz...^^^^^

Kerry you didn't answer anything. If you are a "Leader" you should. What do you think of the contradictions above?

Kerry if the Bible has been skewed why are you quoting it? How do you know that verse is correct?

Favorite Answer

They only believe the parts that Joseph Smith told them to believe. Then he rewrote the rest, and now they have to believe those bits, too. Because he said so. And if they don't and actually speak up and say so, let alone in Sunday School? It's Home Teachers for them until they are sufficiently rebrainwashed to rejoin the group and allowed to speak again. If they can't be rebrainwashed and stick to their beliefs? Bye-bye. Can't be a mormon without Joe's mormonism.

• Neerp

We believe the Bible to be the Word of God so far as it is translated correctly. Anyone that is familiar with the history of the Bible knows that it is a collection of manuscripts that are copies of copies of copies of copies of copies of copies of copies of copies of some long lost original manuscript, and that with each copy changes were introduced. Some changes were intentional, others were accidental. The first few centuries after Christ was a rough time for manuscripts, and Christians were a mostly illiterate persecuted bunch, and the people copying manuscripts were seldom trained scribes, but just someone willing to take on the job. The Bible as we have it today is a hodge podge of manuscripts with many changes. Did you now that the tale of the woman taken in adultery was not original in the Gospel according to St. John? Earlier manuscripts show it in Luke or Mark, and some earlier manuscripts don't have it all. Did you know that last dozen or so versus of Mark were not in the original manuscripts, but were later added by scribes? The manuscripts the Bible was taken from are full of changes like these.

Everyone knows they contradict each other? Funny, I can't remember the last time I met someone who knew this. Fortunately, most mistakes and changes in the Bible are no significant, though there are a few doozies there. And fwiw, all serious students of the Bible knows that there are places in the Bible that contradict other places in the Bible.

Be that as it may, maybe you should share with us the contradictions? I can't think of any off of the top of my head, but if everyone knows that they contradict each other, you should not have any problems showing us where they contradict.

• j p

In answer concerning the apparent contradiction in question. That the Bible teaches that the Gentiles did not receive the gospel until after Christ ascended to heaven. You have answered your own question by pointing out that Nephi and his family were not Gentiles. They were Israelites of the tribe of Manasseh.

The Book of Mormon prophets taught as Paul later taught that the law of Moses was a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ. The prophets of the Book of Mormon practiced the law of Moses because the sacrifices and adherence of the law were symbolic of Christ and His gospel. In the Old Testament Adam was taught about Christ and his gospel, but this knowledge was lost from time to time. Jeremiah an Old Testament prophet contemporary with Lehi taught that there was conspiracy among the Jews. Lehi and Jeremiah's time was one of the times where the knowledge of Christ was being stamped out.

There is no contradiction.

We do not believe that ANY work of scripture is perfect, complete or infallible, only as much as the men who wrote them, put them together, translate them, etc. are perfect, or infallible.

That said, there are no contradictions between the Bible and the Book of Mormon. First, the Book of Mormon mostly takes place on the complete opposite side of the world from the Bible. People in the Book of Mormon could very well have been taught the gospel before the people in the Bible.

As for God, no where in the Bible does it state that God does NOT have a corporeal body of flesh and bone. And Paul states that we are heirs of God and joint heirs with Jesus Christ.

Basically, the contradictions are with your interpretations, not with the scriptures themselves.

Joseph Smith has corrected many mistranslations of the Bible. And if you compare the Book of Mormon and the Bible, especially when Isajah is quoted, you will see the diffences. But of course, Mormons believe in the Bible. Without the Bible there would never have been a Book of Mormon. The Bible is indeed the foundation of the Book of Mormon.

Forgive me for saying this, but your examples are lame. The Book of Mormon never claims that God is flesh and bone, nor that we can become gods. I don't deny that we believe these things, but these beliefs do not come from the Book of Mormon. A much stronger case can be built from Biblical scripture. It was Jesus who said that the righteous would share his throne, just as he shares his father's throne. The apostles testified that the resurrected Jesus ascended to heaven to meet with his father; Stephen saw the two together and was stoned for his testimony. Are you suggesting that one was alive and the other dead? Or did Jesus die twice? The most credible conclusion is that both were physical beings, with glorified physical bodies. Which part of the Bible do you believe?

Who cares.. Both books have been proven false over and over.. But people still believe even though it contradicts the vast amounts of evidence against them. Someone once said that I don't believe in things without direct evidence to prove any claim a person or book has made. Those that do use faith. Faith is the belief in something without evidence, and I'm sorry I am just not that stupid.

i believe in the LdS church, coming from an atheist home, and from a protestant perspective.

i was raised without religion

i was given a bible in high school and believed it

i once preached the innerrancy of the word of God,

but i came to read the words of Paul in Cor 13 and 14. he said desire the gift of prophecy, to edify the church. so i prayed and fasted, and the spirit of revelation did seem to visit me in the cloak of inivisibility Later i came to see 3 visions of Jesus. anyway, what i was taught is only taught in some doctrines in the LDS church.

the whole bible is not corrupted. but there is much apostacy in the pulpits of other religions.

what makes the book of mormon true is the gift of prophecy and the power of God to help Joseph smith translate actual archeological findings.

what makes the message of the gosple true in both books is what WE believe in. WE know that translation is weakes in English. I KNOW from personal studies that the book of Genesis is missing entire other books and facts and information that would change all gospel perceived notions.

even if a compass is off by one degree, a person who follows the wrong path will end up in a place which is not true north.

there were corrections of joseph smith to the bible. simple questions of doctrine.

but when i heard the testimony of Ian Punnet (seminary graduate, episcipoalian he showed me the story of Ruth where it says ruth uncovered boaz feet, but when read in the original hebrew it actually says Ruth uncovered the testicles of Boaz. such errors of men happen throughout the translation process. and with an incorrect truth being taught, and incorrect heresy grows into traditions.

when i was in community college my English professor opened my eyes up to missing text between the NiV and the KJV, in fact there are missing books in the Kjv. if one verse is not true than another is. if a missing chappter proves human tampering, for what reason(s) do they do it?

conspiracy or powers of kings to put scribes and translators to death. etc

what makes me believe in LDS doctrine is the testimony of the prophet, and my similar spiritual experiences with the gifts of the Holy Ghost

Ephesians is talking about the gospel being offered and accepted by the Gentiles. Nephi is talking about sharing the gospel with other descedents of Israel...I don't see any contradiction there.

You didn't finish your second copy and paste, so I don't know what you are asking there.

• Kerry

I am a leader in the LDS Church. SO, I can speak for "my own people," as you say. We do believe in the Bible. Its one of our major tenets. If you go to the LDS Church's own webpage, you can get a free from the Church.

That's believing in it, and inviting others to believe in it, in case you did not know.

http://mormon.org/free-bible/

Also, apparently YOU do not know your Bible. Luke chapter 22 has the resurrected Jesus Christ saying, "Handle me and see, for a spirit hath not flesh and bone as you see me have...." The resurrected Christ has flesh and bone...... its in the Bible. That book we believe in.

Source(s): Lifelong member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints