cowgirlzrock1 asked in PetsHorses · 8 years ago

what would you add to your barn if you could?

I'm starting plans for my barn :) that will be built this coming summer. Its a 8 stall, 12x12 stalls, with a 12x12 tack room, and a 12x12 feed room. 12' breezeway of course, individual lights in every stall.

Indoor hot/cold washrack.

I'll have feeders and automatic waterers in all stalls or course, outside runs, with a door so they can be 'locked' in if needed. Tack room will have wall mounted saddle racks and bridle hooks. I'll have some kind of cabinets in there. probably a small fridge for meds, a table etc. Feed room WILL be horseproof. I'll probably have a sink in it, I'm thinking having a door on the outside will make putting hay inside easier? I know, not to store much hay inside to lower chance of fire. I'll have a seperate building to store bulk hay.

What I want to know is, is there something that you forgot or want to add to your barn? Anything to make life for you or your horses simpler? Any ideas would be good. Please be nice, thank you!

I dont plan on having boarders, but a bathroom would be nice, somethin to consider.

haha, the jacuzzi is in the house, dont need another in the barn... or do we?

I will put in fans, how many or location will depend, I'll have to wait and see. We don't get too harsh winters here, so I dont see a heated barn neccesary. I do plan on building a nice indoor in the future, but barn comes first. I dont plan on having boarders, but who knows! so I shouldn't be crowded in the arena.

I personally dont like cross ties, but I'll have a couple. I'll have plenty of hitching posts/ rails outside.

The stalls will open up to make a 12x24 have all four stalls open into a huge stall if i want.

I may add a couch or something in a the feed or tack, incase I end up staying out there overnight. Which I prolly will haha.

thank you zephania, you did offer very good advice. The builders are awesome and I trust them completely to pay attention to those all too important details, like drainage and ventalation. That still doesn't mean I wont watch them like a hawk! :)

We just started planning today, we have not talked about specific ventalation, but we will. we just got basic floor plans down today. The isleway and infront where the washrack will be will be concrete and matted. The inside of the stalls will be dirt with good mats.

I already have a seperate building for hay/shavings, and for large equiptment storage on the property.

we have not talked about manure location, mainly because he really hasnt seen the property yet...

And of course, NO metal sides... I've heard to many stories of horses kicking metal...

Favorite Answer

Far more important than all the luxuries are the oft neglected basics.

Good drainage, with drains, channels, and grates indoors, and well sloped aprons around the exterior doors. Bad drainage means pee smells, wet stalls, thrush, mud, wasted bedding, etc. Ammonia buildup can be so bad it damages the horses' lungs.

Good ventilation, with soffit and gable vents and either a ridgeline vent or one of those pipe style fan vents. Ventilation is vital to horse health. People may want to hold in every scrap of warmth in the winter, but it's not good for the horses - too much moisture from their breathing causes molds to grow (which leads to heaves and moldy hay and so on); no air exchange causes disease spread (like being in a kindergarten class full of kids with stuffy noses). In summer, good ventilation means the horses will be cooler and more comfortable.

Metal walls are dangerous - one kick and the horse's hoof goes through, often resulting in severed tendons from the jagged metal edges. Often resulting in irreparable damage and euthanasia.

What are you planning for hay and bedding storage? A separate building is safest, as there is always a danger of combustion in improperly cured hay or in wet shavings, and if the storage building is separate there's less danger of such a fire killing your horses. If you have horses with respiratory problems, you'll also reduce the number of allergens SUBSTANTIALLY.

I personally have a hay loft, and I really like that it keeps the barn cooler in summer and warmer in winter. But if I were to redo it, I'd use the loft for some other purpose and build side sheds for the hay and shavings.

Manure is another big issue. It's very, very important to provide a storage area for it that is specially built to protect the ground water. You want this near enough to the barn that it's easy to get to- especially in mud season and in snow season. You want it easily cleaned out by dozer and dumptruck if you'll have a lot of horses.

A frost free hydrant, for use in the winter. Heated buckets for freezing weather. Sufficient GFI electric outlets so you can have heated buckets in winter, so you have convenient outlets for clippers and vacuums and so on.

A people door as well as the main doors - I like mine leading into the feed room for deliveries.

Cement floors with rubber mats.

A place to store your wheelbarrows and manure forks. If you have any large equipment, a separate shed for that.

I'd rather have the sink in the tack room so I can use it to clean tack.

Stall partitions - too often I see people using treated tongue and groove 2x6's. Spend a little extra and special order the untreated ones if you want these - I used the treated for the bottom 2, and untreated above that, which works really well.

Oak boards or metal cladding wherever a horse can get his teeth on the wood.

Corner wind bracing! Wind braces (diagonally placed structural members in the corners) can be the difference between a barn coming down in a storm and a barn surviving a tornado.

I hope you've thought of all these things. Over the years, I've built several barns, and neglecting these basics has been the worst mistake. Everything else you can pretty much add later.

• Robin

Don't feed other peoples horses. They may have special diets. Don't interact with other peoples horses without permission from the owner. You may have set times for visiting, especially late at night or early mornings. Advance notice of planing on coming before or after a certain time is a good idea. You don't necessarily want people coming over at midnight or something. If you have a waiver, it should apply to anyone who rides. This would include guests. No waiver, no riding. Have some available at the barn and maybe send them to people via e-mail so they can be filled out before coming. If the kids are only at a certain level, so should add that they should not attempt something they have not done in lessons without an instructor present to help them. A novice rider might want to try a jump, but could get injured if they don't know what they are doing. Get the kids and parents to sign a copy of the rules to say they have read and understand them and will follow them. Ignorance is not an excuse.

• Lilian

I think it is essential that you bring in a lot of fill in all the areas that your barn and corrals will be and also arena so that if you do get rains or snow there will be some where you can drain the water off the horse areas.

Also just pine wood is great for chewing. On my barn about 20 years ago I put all oak hardwood on all the horizontal areas in the stalls and after all this time there are new chews on the hard wood. Not even on the mangers!!

I think slow feeders would be great, I hate to see those hog horses eat up there feed in a short time and stand around hungry for the rest of the day.

Heated viewing room, and a jacuzzi tub, so after a long day of mucking stalls, I can relax, to a deep, luxious, hot, sweet, 12 jets and three bottom one's, of sweet jacuzzi tub, ah! Sorry got carried away, I would add, a bigger cross country training area, more crossties, and some more birthing stalls, alot of mare's foal there, and I feel bad for the one's that have to wait as long as they can for the stall, also a second arena, because it is crowded into the current one, because so many people ride, but I usually get there when it's completely dead, and I get to ride in peace, um, second jumpers pen, and larger paddocks, and more trails, because you can never have too many trails, and more barrels, so I can practice barrels with my mare some more... but that's about it XD

Edit: Yes ma'am you need a jacuzzi tub in your barn, I sure wish the barn I board at has it, spoil your future boarders, and yes ma'am sleep on the couch, you can be that much closer to your horses, and if you get into a fight at home, you can go have a nice jacuzzi bath, and sleep it off on your feed room couch :)

• A nice cozy room so i can go take a nap when i have nothing to do! lol okay well on a more serious not I wish my trainers barn had a covered arena and a bathroom.

• zakiit

A grooming/tacking up/farrier/vet box with good lighting. A fold away saddle and bridle rack with shelves for boots, bandages and grooming kits etc. And a skip and a broom in it.

I would add a bigger indoor ring to my barn!

Oooh!

I would add a heated indoor bathroom for the boarders and the horses...Unfortunately we use a outhouse.........I would add in a better indoor arena like this: http://avianacres.net/AvianPhotos/arena2.jpg

I would add heating and a air conditioner. I would add endless row of stalls.

And add a better outdoor arena. http://www.nevdevine.com/images/outdoor_arena.jpg

I could really use a locker room instead of the crappy, crowded leaser tack room we have to put up with.