Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleFashion & Accessories · 9 years ago

I need a pattern for thin, warm, knitted childs socks.?

My little brother is five years old, and loves to wear Crocs. It's getting to be winter, and he hates to wear socks with his Crocs because the socks are too thick and hurt his feet, so I was planning on knitting him some thin socks. I would be using Patons Kroy Jacquard, if this helps. I just need a pattern, or a link to a pattern. And it has to be thin socks, he won't wear thicker ones. Thank you in advance.

Favorite Answer

I agree wool socks would be warmest, and Kroy is 75% wool, 25% nylon. The nylon content is needed for durability. Here's the problem though. You cannot knit socks as thin as you can purchase them, and the average hand knit sock is going to be thicker and with more stitch definition (larger stitches you can feel through your skin if you are very sensitive to these things) than commercially made socks.

Your public library should have a copy of Ann Budd's Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns. It contains a sock pattern that allows you to choose the size you want, and then use your gauge to find the appropriate directions to make that size with that gauge. Works with all sock sizes and all gauges. Use the smallest size needles you can stand, preferably 0-2 with a sock yarn.

Source(s): I'm an avid sock knitter
  • Woolen socks are the best choice.For smooth texture thick silk socks are the next choice.

Source(s): Garments