Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternetWikipedia · 8 years ago

Why does wikipedia keep begging for money??? Is it because of the founders' divorce?

Sometimes it will even open up to a page asking for money... They say it is a free service in their message like google or facebook, but they just keep begging for money?

Favorite Answer

It is an utter fiction that Wikipedia's owner (the Wikimedia Foundation) urgently needs money to keep the site up and running. Less than 10% of the projected $30 million budget would amply provide for server and node health, bandwidth, and several top-notch IT professionals to engineer patches and fixes to the software.

The begging for money is mostly going toward two major cost centers:

(1) Executive Sue Gardner's compensation, along with those 90 or so staff members that she has hired who keep themselves looking busy. But, honestly, 99% of the "work" that goes into Wikipedia is performed by unpaid volunteers, not the paid staff.

(2) Low-interest savings accounts and treasury bills. The Wikimedia Foundation is socking away millions of dollars each year into a "rainy day fund" that has never been earmarked for any rational strategic plan.

If you want to learn more about the money trail, I have a couple of links to recommend:

Source(s): Ten reasons not to donate money to Wikipedia: http://mywikibiz.com/Top_10_Reasons_Not_to_Donate_... Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales' net worth: http://www.examiner.com/wiki-edits-in-national/jim... ...(this one is a three-part story, so be sure to click forward to get all of the details)
  • Bill

Because the Wikimedia Foundation is too lazy to court advertisers' money like Google and Facebook do. Do you have Gmail? Read any e-mail message there. Notice the personalized ad unobtrusively sitting somewhere around your e-mail message? Facebook also has targeted ads, though at the moment I don't see any on my Facebook profile page.

Wikipedia doesn't have ads, except of course for the ads begging you to donate. Why is the Wikimedia Foundation so categorically opposed to ads? Mostly because advertisers would expect some kind of accountability. I cannot stress this enough: OF THE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS WIKIPEDIA RAISES IN DONATIONS, NONE OF IT GOES TOWARDS FACT-CHECKING, and only a tiny bit goes towards technical expenses, like servers and bandwidth.

Because it is a non-profit, and they need money to keep their servers up, of which they have quite a lot. If they run out of money, wikipedia goes down.

They could instead run advertisements, but that would, in the opinion of the people that run it, cheapen the site.

• Elitre

Google and Facebook are firms. Behind Wikipedia there is a no-profit foundation paying for servers and bandwidth for sites in more than 280 languages (plus cool projects such as Wikimedia Commons, Wikinews...). I suggest you take a quick look at http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Frequently_ask... :)

Source(s): I am a sysop on it.wiki.
  • .

I think that wikipedia should run advertisement for non-members or something. Just to generate enough revenue to pay out for the up-keeping of the site.

I once wondered too but I guess they just want to improve their service in a different/better way. If being the case, they will definitely need some funds.

While Wikipedia claims to be nonprofit, they need money to run. This way they can make sure everything on wikipedia is true and not a lie.

^

Lala you are such an idiot.