Why are ssd's so expensive and how should i configure my computer?

i want to put an ssd on my new computer build but i don't want to break the bank in the process. SSD's are super expensive and i kind of want to have a lot of storage but not skimp on startup time. I was thinking of maybe getting an ssd to just install my OS on and then storing all of my files on an HDD. ... show more i want to put an ssd on my new computer build but i don't want to break the bank in the process. SSD's are super expensive and i kind of want to have a lot of storage but not skimp on startup time. I was thinking of maybe getting an ssd to just install my OS on and then storing all of my files on an HDD. Is this possible and is it a good idea? Or should i get a regular internal HDD? I will be running Windows 7 and doing a little bit of HD video editing also
Update: Also, would i have to save all of my files in a different manner on the HDD to do this? What size SSD should i get if I do get one? In other words, is it worth the hassle?