why are ssd's so expensive and how should i configure my computer?

i want to put an ssd on my new computer build but i don't want to break the bank in the process. SSD's are super expensive and i kind of want to have a lot of storage but not skimp on startup time. I was thinking of maybe getting an ssd to just install my OS on and then storing all of my files on an HDD. Is this possible and is it a good idea? Or should i get a regular internal HDD? I will be running Windows 7 and doing a little bit of HD video editing also

Also, would i have to save all of my files in a different manner on the HDD to do this? What size SSD should i get if I do get one? In other words, is it worth the hassle?

Favorite Answer

SSD use flash memory to store information, compared to spinning platters in Hard drives. The load times are so much faster in my opinion its worth every penny.

Your idea to have an SSD for your OS and a HDD for other files is what most people do. You would not have to change the way you save your info just make sure your saving things to the right drive.

A 60 gig SSD is plenty for an OS and a few programs that you use frequently and want to use the benefit of the increased speed.

If you have alot of programs that you want to store on the SSD then you might consider a larger capacity.

With the huge increase in Hard drive prices these last couple of months from the floods in S.E. Asia I think that SSD's are even more of a value given the price per gigabyte.

You might want to read up on the types of controllers SSD use and the type of memory they use as there is quite a bit of difference. There are also some other little things to know like not ever wanting to Defrag and SSD, and I've read some articles where turning off superfetch helps improve performance. Things like that.

Overall its probably the single greatest performance improvement on the market right now and definitely worth the hassle.

Good luck.

Having a SSD for the boot drive with Windows and Programs only, and putting your documents and media files on a HDD is what most people do.  Once you're set up, move your User Account in its entirety to the HDD.  Use Windows Help for this, as it gives you hot links to the appropriate dialogues.   SSDs are expensive because they use expensive electronic storage hardware (i.e. not physical discs).  It's like buying a huge capacity, but very high quality, flash drive.