New to green lantern comic book series?

I watched the green lantern movie and thought it was wicked. Then I read online about sinestro turning evil and the red lanterns and it sounded cool. I downloaded an app on my iPhone where I can download comics to it. What comic should I start with? Because there are many different series etc. thanks

Favorite Answer

I really hate it when people tell you to just pick up Rebirth and go from there. I also hate it when people dismiss Peter Tomasi's writing and what he's covered in the pages of Green Lantern Corps. If you just pick up what Johns has done you won't get the full experience of Sinestro's fall from grace nor will you get the experience of Hal battling Carol Ferris when she became Star Sapphire, two of Hal's greatest enemies. You will also miss out on Guy Gardner, John Stewart and Kyle Rayner's origins and stories. Unlike Batman, Superman and Flash, Green Lantern didn't go through a Post-Crisis reboot or change in '85 so his stories from the Silver, Bronze and Modern Age are all canon. I'd start with Emerald Dawn, Emerald Dawn II and Secret Origin.

Emerald Dawn was once considered Hal's definitive origin story however, Johns wrote what is now considered his origin story which is pretty much a retelling of Emerald Dawn except it features Hector Hammond and Atrocitus and a few minor changes like the foreshadowing of Blackest Night. Emerald Dawn II depicts Hal as Sinestro's protege and his fall from grace using his ring to rule Korugar as a dictator with fear, Hal reporting him to the Guardians, his trial and banishment to the Anti-matter universe. The problem with Emerald Dawn II is that it's no longer being reprinted (c'mon DC people love Sinestro) so you'll have to buy the six issues from sites like Amazon or Ebay or a comic selling website. You can find cheap used issues like I did and not have to pay much for them.

Emerald Dawn II can also follow up Secret Origins but I'd read both Emerald Dawn and Secret Origins. After that, If just interested in Sinestro's fall and his villainy, I'd start by picking up Green Lantern Chronicles vol 2 which is a collection of Green Lantern vol 2 #s 4-9 which depicts Qward, the yellow ring and Sinestro's first appearance in Green Lantern comics which to this day is canon. Over the years, Sinestro became a recurring villain and Hal's archnemesis. Sinestro also played a role in Crisis on Infinite Earths (ironically with the Anti-Monitor who would become a member of Sinestro's Corps) but his greatest victory was cheating death and placing his essence into the Central Battery in Green Lantern Corps #222 with Hal following him in there and defeating him in Green Lantern Corps #224 (the issues are no long being reprinted and haven't been included in a collected volume). Sinestro also discovered that the yellow impurity was in fact Parallax which leads to him manipulating Parallax to take over Hal in the Emerald Twilight story arc. See that's stuff you won't learn by just reading Rebirth and "taking it from there". I just wish DC would reprint the issues/stories that are essential to the Sinestro story.

As for the Red Lanterns, Atrocitus makes his chronological first appearance in Secret Origin, they are hinted at in the Sinestro Corps War and make their first team appearance in Green Lantern Rage of the Red Lanterns which is a prelude to Blackest Night.

• C

I'd say start with Rebirth and read Green Lantern v4 (2005-2011) and read Blackest Night (all the Lantern Corps plays a big part in it) for Hal Jordan. If you're interested in the whole corp read Green Lantern Corps: Recharge which leads into Green Lantern Corps. The comic is waaayy better than the movie. There's also Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors that plays a part into some of the Green Lantern crossovers. The newest Green Lantern series (part of the New 52) picks up right where the Green Lantern v4 left off as well. In the New 52 there's also Red Lantern Corps, Green Lantern: New Guardians and Green Lantern Corps (all are pretty decentish) that have ties to the corps.

Trade paperbacks

Green Lantern: Secret Origin

Green Lantern: Emerald Knights (or watch the animated movie)

Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps Vol 1-2

Tales of the Sinestro Corps

Rage of the Red Lanterns

Agent Orange

Blackest Night

Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps

.......(Blackest Night: Black Lantern Corps Vol1-2) not really necessary

Blackest Night: Rise of the Black Lanterns

Edit

Don't forget the new Green Lantern animated series that starts next year. The pilot episode already came on. It had the Red Lanterns in it.

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/green-lante...

Green Lantern: Rebirth by Geoff Johns

Start with Green Lantern Rebirth and then proceed onwards with Geoff Johns's run on the primary GL book.

• Wendy

""Emerald Twilight" is a 1994 comic book story told in Green Lantern (vol. 3) #48-50, written by Ron Marz, and published by DC Comics. "