Am I doing okay for playing guitar for 2 months?

I'm teaching myself how to play guitar as I'm too stubborn to take lessons and think it would be interesting to do learn guitar by myself. I practice for at least (bare minimum) 15 minutes a day but on average possibly 30 minutes a day. I only know about 8 chords by heart that I can switch to fairly easily. I only know about 2 full songs but a handful of riffs. I am currently trying to become better at fingerstyle and I can almost play Blackbird by The Beatles (but slowly because of the chords I have to form) but I am fairly good at fingerstyle patterns/exercises. Am I going at a good rate?

Favorite Answer

Yeah, you're doing fine. :)

I've given lessons for about a year to students on guitar and if I could get them to practice half as much as you do I'd be happy. Playing everyday, even if only for 15 minutes, leads to great progress over time. If you don't already know then I think you should move on to learning the keys up and down the fretboard. And start working on different scales! I always teach the E pentatonic first, it just gets you used to playing certain notes and gettting your fingers to move faster. :)

I'm also glad that you're learning a Beatles song! Good choice, they're amazing.

Source(s): I work in a music shop. :)