Can I return something I bought at walmart to a different store than purchased from?

Okay so here's the deal. I bought an iHome forever ago, let's say about 8 months ago and only used it once. I moved shortly after and packed it up and ever since it has been sitting in the box. I don't have the receipt anymore, and I know the policy is 90 days, but I was wondering if I could still... show more Okay so here's the deal. I bought an iHome forever ago, let's say about 8 months ago and only used it once. I moved shortly after and packed it up and ever since it has been sitting in the box. I don't have the receipt anymore, and I know the policy is 90 days, but I was wondering if I could still return it? I wanted to go to a different store than my local one though, BECAUSE I am paranoid of the staff thinking I stole it, even though that definitely ISN'T the case.

I already called a couple stores, and they told me "probably" it could be returned. Can I get in trouble? It's not a stolen item, it WAS purchased with my own money, the problem is that it was forever ago, and it irks me that I have basically thrown $100 away on something I used one time only!

I plan to go to a different store near me that I don't normally shop at, I made sure they carry the item online, which they do. So what should I expect? I really don't want to be accused of stealing, or being a scumbag, when definitely I am not! Anything special I should say? What if they ask me which store I bought it from? Do I tell the truth? Do I lie? Thanks