How do I install windows on my SSD?

i have a laptop with a 500gb HDD that was shipped with the laptop. i boot from the HDD. i just bought a 120gb SSD and would like to boot from it instead. when i replace the HDD with the SSD, i get a "no bootable device" on a black screen.

how can i install windows on the ssd? i have vista on my HDD. if i have a USB to SATA 2.5 converter, would that make it easier?

would i need to pay for windows or could i use a pirated version or get it for free?

the more detail, the better. thanks.

Favorite Answer

•Freed up enough space on my hard drive so that what was on it would fit on the SSD.

•Downloaded and burned a GParted live CD. It is a Linux based partition editor, but I've found it easy to use and reliable.

•Put the SSD into the computer.

•Changed the boot priority in the BIOS to have the SSD at the top.

•Booted to GParted and resized my hard drive's partition to be smaller than the SSD. The resizing took almost an hour. Then I copied and pasted the hard drive's partition to the SSD and resized it to fill the SSD at the same time. Took about half an hour.

•I unplugged the hard drive with my old Windows install. You don't have to, but if it is unplugged, then when the computer is booted and the desktop appears, you know everything is working right. (During my attempts when I didn't have the hard drive unplugged, I once booted from the SSD when it was drive E, but the registry still referenced drive C. So I was using E:\Windows from the SSD, but C:\Users and C:\Program Files from the hard drive.)

•Booted to the Windows 7 install disk and opened the recovery command prompt. The drive letters needed changed so that the SSD's partition is C: like it was on the hard drive. I did this with diskpart. Something like this (the SSD is 111 GB):

X:\Sources> diskpart

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------

Volume 0 C NTFS Partition 465 GB Healthy

Volume 1 D NTFS Partition 111 GB Healthy

DISKPART> select volume 0

...

DISKPART> assign letter=E

...

DISKPART> select volume 1

...

DISKPART> assign letter=C

...

DISKPART> select volume 0

...

DISKPART> assign letter=D

...

The partition also needed to be set active:

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt

-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---

Disk 0 Online 465 GB 1024 KB

Disk 1 Online 111 GB 0 B

DISKPART> select disk 1

...

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset

------------- ---------------- ------- -------

Partition 1 Primary 111 GB 1024 KB

DISKPART> select partition 1

...

DISKPART> active

...

DISKPART> exit

•Executed these commands before restarting:

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /rescanos

bcdboot c:\windows

I'm not sure they are all necessary but running them doesn't hurt.

•Booted from the SSD and everything worked. I plugged the hard drive back in

see simply go to bios and check your boot setting. set them thats all.