Is it hard to quit smoking cigarettes?

After seeing some videos of how tobacco affects your lungs and heart and mouth actual pictures and people with cancer I can't imagine smoking any further

Favorite Answer

It's how much you want it. Your are in charge of your own decision. You don't know it, but it goes on in your sub-conscience.

Source(s): Common Sense.

When I gave up smoking, it wasn't really a hard thing but I wouldn't call it easy. I used the 3-patch Nicoderm program. (I've read that CBT along with patches is better.) I was fairly comfortable until the very end of the program. I wanted to smoke but I wasn't afraid that I'd start smoking again. At the end, I used the small-size patch and extended the program by about a month and a half by cutting off tiny slivers and gradually making smaller and smaller patches. When they fell off in the shower I would use waterproof first aid tape to cover the patch.

Advantages include going to the Qwicki Mart and watching some poor soul pay $500 for a pack of smokes while I pay for milk and bread.

As a last resort, if you fail to quit again and again, there's an alternative in smokeless tobacco. If you read the actual research, you'll see that it's not as dangerous as cigarettes

• Lisa

That's what I have read and heard - that the physical and psychological effects of stopping smoking are harder than quitting heroin. And with cigarettes, you see people smoking everywhere, or can still smell it on them, or see the cartons on the shelves at the store, so it's something that's hard to stop thinking about. You don't see people doing heroin on their breaks at work (atleast no where I've ever worked, lol). I remember how hard it was for me to quit. I felt like total crap for weeks, my heart was racing like crazy, dizziness, irritability, etc. I ended up quitting by eating all the Enteman chocolate chip cookies I wanted every time I wanted a cigarette. Seriously! I gained weight, but took it off after the strongest cigarette cravings stopped. It's worse of course if your significant other smokes. When I quit smoking, I was dating a guy who detested smoking, so I had an extra incentive =). I didn't get to kiss him until I brushed my teeth five times and if I wanted to smoke, he'd make me go outside, even in sub-zero weather. I hope that you can quit someday honey. I know it's so darn hard to quit. Heroin users can go to clinics at the taxpayer's expense. People who want to quit smoking are on their own unless their insurance will cover treatment to help them. Take care my friend.

To most it is hard and it also depends on how long you are smoking. Think of it this way. When you are cooking dinner and you smell that food you just want to taste/eat it right. That's the same feeling smokers have. They just have a need for a smoke.

This isn't a constant, sorry to say, but it varies.

Usually yes, because the nicotine subduing any problems the mind perceives and may also release dopamine + endorphins ("feel good" hormones), so your mind will probably will find an excuse to stay with the source it's getting it from (i.e. cigarettes), until an opposing, good, force in put into the play.

Yes, tobacco is a real good killer and I hope for the best of you.

Replace a bad habit with a good one.

Yeah, it is. The withdrawl from cigarettes can be as bad as the withdrawl from heroin. That's why it takes so many people several tries before they successfully quit. There are drugs you can get on prescription, like Champix etc., but the side effects of them (nausea and/or vomiting and headaches) put a lot of people off trying to quit.

I think it is bit hard but possible. You must have to engage in some works where you can get full enjoys and can minimize the level of tobacco. If you success to minimize the cigarettes then it is sure that you can stop it one day.

• ... it's incredibly hard to quit cigarettes. (Until you've been a "habit" smoker, you will never know this at a visceral level)

they *do* satisfy an unperceived urge and perceived craving .. and they're legal and easily available.

to the smoker, they feel good, taste good and are delicious with coffee, beer, alcohol of most any flavor,

they're "something to do with your hands" ...

Source(s): twenty years of smoking habit ... quit now

When it comes to your health and your physical well being, you have great reasons to quit smoking already. The fact that smoking can cause a variety of harmful diseases to your body is no longer new to us. But just to remind you, smoking can definitely cause several types of cancers like lung cancer and cancer of the throat.

Here, iam not affiliate of them, just info http://suncityshopper.com/quit-smoking-hypnotherap...

Try keeping a diary about what your triggers are for wanting to smoke, our minds are a powerful thing and when we know what is making us smoke then we can start to deal with it.