Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelSwitzerlandOther - Switzerland · 8 years ago

Is the German spoken in the German areas of Switzerland different from the language in Germany?

Confusing, I know.

But I want to know if ''Swiss German'' is mutually intelligible with the German language.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • belle
    Lv 5
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Swiss german is a dialect spoken in the german parts of the country. depending on which canton you are in, the dialect can vary (ie: accent, words, etc..). i find that the more high german i learn, i'm more able to understand the dialect. having said that, many germans who live here are still unable to understand/speak it.

i wouln't say it's mutally intelligible- especially if one visits from northern germany and goes to say, wallis, where the dialect there is difficult for even a berner to understand.

although. i know people who are from southern germany and their knowledge of the dialect is pretty good. i think it's because of the closeness of territory and the fact that the dialect in southern germany is somewhat close to swiss german (or so i'm told..). :)

• Marc
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

The Swiss German dialect is not intelligible for German speaking people. Think of it as a different language. There are even different dialects depending on the Cantons and the region and Swiss German have even difficulties understanding each other. However the news papers are usually written in Hochdeutsch.

• 3 years ago

It'll most often be relatively exclusive, exceptionally while spoken. I recognise humans who moved to Switzerland for a role and truthfully took a path in Swiss German to support them engage with their colleagues in day after day issues. One factor is selecting up the brand new vocabulary, a further on eis getting an ear for the melody of the language and unerstanding it on the - repeatedly plentiful - pace at which it's spoken.

• D S
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

German is a word that was created by the Romans to define everything on the north side of the Alps. It encompassess Bavarians, Alemanns, Saxons, Swabians, Friese, Angles etc etc etc.

Obvioulsy all these people kept their traditions after the unification into one country in 1840s. Germany is a very young country and so are Austria and Switzerland. Therefore there are strong regional differences and this goes from north to south and east to west.

Similar to many other countries - UK, US, France etc.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

VERY different.

German-speaking Germans have great difficulty understanding German-speaking Swiss.

Imagine someone from, say, East Texas trying to understand someone with a THICK Cockney accent.

• Ranger
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Most of it is understandable by the average Deutsche citizen, but there are some words that are different and it takes a little asking to clarify what is the meaning of the word.

Source(s): been there
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.