Could you hit a Killer shark With a Garand from a sinking boat?

Watching Jaws on Spike. Still scary years later.

Favorite Answer

Well boats that size sink real fast. I live in an area were many have died from their boat going down. I talked to one guy who survived his boat sinking. It was a 1980s 28 ft Bayliner and he said it went down so fast he didn’t have time to put his survival suit on. He said it went down in about 30 seconds from a hull breach.

As for the shark attack thing, sure its rare;

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/statistics.h...

Same as it’s very rare to be killed by a bear. But if its YOU being mauled to death by a bear or eaten alive by a shark, statistics are meaningless at that point. I had a friend killed by a bear. He used to laugh at the possibility of a bear getting him. He was an experienced woodsman in Alaska and quite the marksman. Yet he died from a bear.

And I think that’s what makes sharks and bears scary to people; its not what the odds are it’s the possibility that bothers you.

I have shot sharks but they were on a fishing line or long line. And a few were very hard to hit just a few feet away in a rocking boat. They weren’t great whites, they were mud sharks and salmon sharks. But I assure you, you don’t want a live 7 foot salmon shark on the deck of your boat!

So my answer is you wouldn’t have time to shoot the shark in a sinking boat, even if you’re an expert shot.

Did someone say Garand?

I doubt it, small boats sink a lot faster than they do in the movies and it would probably be shaking just from the amount of air that is getting forced out. I would probably be trying to find a watertight bag to put the Garand in anyways lol. I don't like that movie anyways. So many people are brainwashed into thinking that sharks are man eating vicious killers just from watching Jaws.

I've been scuba diving with sharks around the world since around the age of 13 and the most aggressive shark I've been around was a tiny 10 foot Nurse shark that would nudge my arms... but that's it. Yes, it's just a movie... It's kind of like the libtards that watch MSNBC and think that everyone who owns a gun and is Christian is a radical conservative militant.

Source(s): Sorry for the rant, it's just amazing how many peoples' opinions of sharks are based off of a movie. And this Garand fever isn't helping much either.

Yes; and the nice thing about a Garand is that if you run out of ammo you can club the shark to death with your 9 1/2 pound empty rifle.

I think so. The range was not that great, and he was shooting at the air tank in Bruce's mouth IIRC - a fairly large target. Maybe not on the first shot, but certainly once out of 8 rounds.

And I know what you mean by still being scared years later. Every time I have SCUBA'd since then I hear dum dum, dum dum, dum dum (the theme from when the shark was near).

Jaws and Night of the Living Dead were two of the scariest movies I have ever seen. Modern stuff does not compare.

A semi-auto would improve the odds, and jaws was a big fish. I am pretty certain that I could. I've shot apples that my brother threw into the air with a rifle at between 15 and 20 yards. Of course that was from a stable position not a sinking, rocking boat.

I guess, I'll be okay with never proving that I can though.

He could have just unloaded the garand into the shark's head instead of shooting that pistol at the thing. I mean, the shark was 10 feet away from Brody, and not even submerged. Problem solved.

This would depend on some factors first..The shark is a plastic mechanical robot. How do I know? I saw it on the Universal City Tour. Second...The absolute last thing I would think anyone would do is pull a 50-60 y.o. rifle (remember the Captain?) that works? Is it loaded? While a piece of crap boat made out of jute string/rope and wood splinters held together with the captain's lower half...Sinks!

It could also be Misterjaw (voiced by Arte Johnson) was a blue-colored great white shark (who wore a purple vest with white collar, a black bow tie and tall black top hat) who liked to leap out of the water and shout "HEEGotcha!" or "Gotcha!" at unsuspecting folks (who would, as would be expected, run off in terror screaming "SHARK!!!!!").

can you kill a shark with a single shot from a .30-06 springfield(what the M1 Garand is chambered in)? definitely, no problem at all.

will it be easy? not necessarily, you'd need to be a good shot to make a fatal shot.

is it possible to hit a oxy tank from the distance in the movie? definitely

is it possible for the oxy tank to explode like in the movie? no, not enough energy stored in the tank to do that. it'll only make a bullet sized hole and empty out.

the sinking boat isn't a real factor since it's still a stable platform to shoot from in the weather conditions they were in.

• MJ

I am a good shot with the M1. But I'm also a very good swimmer.

Course, I'm not as good a swimmer as a shark, so I would have to make my shot count.

• TDM

Hitting the explosive tank? Probably. Might take a few shots if the water was choppy, but it's doable.