Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 8 years ago

Fuel Pump or Fuel Sensor?

A few weeks ago my chrysler lhs shut off at a stop sign. we thought it was out of gas. so we put gas in and it wouldn't start. the next day it would start up but as soon as we put it in gear (drive or reverse) it would cut off. So it's just been sitting there for like 3 weeks. When we went out there last night it started right up and would drive and reverse seemed fine. My question is do you think it could be the fuel pump or fuel sensor?

Favorite Answer

Neither (The fuel pump is NOT a common failure on this vehicle! If you would like an accurate (as possible) answer please provide as much vehicle information as possible LHS? (1994-2001)? (don't need the engine option because this vehicle only was available with the 3.5L (EGJ) SOHC V-6!

NOTE: The MOST common issue that will cause (intermittent stalling) on the 3.5L is a intermittent short in the CMP (Camshaft position sensor)!

Source(s): 28 Year Master, L-1 Technician

The fuel sensor is simply a device that tells the fuel dial how much gas is in the tank. So that's out. The fuel pump is the device that physically puts the gas in the engine, so this is a possibility. But because you said it wouldn't start and mentioned the gear box having something to do, it could be the starter motor or something in the gear box. Also since you said it started and ran fine 3 weeks later, it could simply be a loose cable.

My advice, it sounds like it could be anything, so take it to the nearest garage that offers services, and get a full service which isn't that costly. They will find the problem from running the car and looking over the whole car.

Source(s): Dealing with vehicle problems most of my life.

Chrysler product, intermittent problem staying running, or starting. that's what I got from what you have said.

4 times I have seen this problem on Chrysler products, and all 4 times it turned out to be the plug that connects to the fuel sending unit. The sending unit has the fuel pump attached to it inside the tank, and also has the float which controls the fuel level gauge. Repair has always been the same, take the plug apart, clean the connectors, and apply a light coating of anti-corrosive grease then re-assemble. So far I have not had to remove the fuel tank to do it, there has always been access by removing the back of the back seat and then removing a cover panel right behind the back seat.

I work mostly on GM products so I cannot say that it will be the only possibility, nor can I say that the process will be suitable for your model because you did not give the year of the vehicle.

very unlikely that the o2 sensors are to blame. They are just responding to the engine running condition. To have black smoke the fuel pressure would need to be too high, also very rare on ford products. The DPFE could be a step in the right direction. This sensor monitors EGR system and a stuck open EGR valve COULD cause the listed symptoms. I would lean more toward this area than fuel pump or O2 sensors. More specifics on the actual trouble code numbers would be helpful. Good Luck!

It could be the fuel pump or about a dozen other things. It definitely isn't the fuel sensor. The first test is to listen if the fuel pump is running when you turn the key on. If you can't hear it hum the problem is the pump or the electrical supply to the pump.

You won't have a clue unless you do a fuel pressure test first. It sounds more like a problem with the IAC motor that controls the idle. You might start with cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

i would say the pump relay was sticking. if it stuck once then it probably will again right when your in traffic or pouring the rain down. if it was the pump then you would not got started at all.