dakid101 asked in Beauty & StyleMakeup · 8 years ago

Bare Minerals Questions?

Thank you for reading this. I have a few questions for someone out there who uses Bare Minerals.

1. Is it true that Bare Minerals will give me an ashy cast on my skin?

2. Can use the foundation as under eye concealer or do I have to put on my own then use the Minerals?

3. What is the purpose of Mineral Veil?

4. Have you used their mascara? If so does it work well for people with short sparse lashes?

5. Does it work for someone with oily skin?

6. How well does it match your skin tone?

Thank you so much in advance!

• .
    Favorite Answer

1) Bare Minerals is the worst mineral line out there. The only reason so many recommend it is because it's the only mineral brand that they've heard of and they think it must be good for you since it is "mineral". It however is very ashy and oxidizes.

2) It has very poor coverage, it's not at all buildable in both formulas. It gets very cakey when you try to build on it.

3) The mineral veil is supposed to give flawless finish and help control oil/sweat. It however fails.

4) The bare escentuals mascaras are poor quality. The buxom ones are ok but not waterproof :(

5) No not even the matte version works with oily skin. In fact it made me oilier and it broke me out.

6) It has very unrealistic coloring. It doesn't blend in well.

Anyway I'm also oily and this is a mineral routine with full coverage foundations and finishing veils that works for me:

1) Start morning off with cleansing and toning with something for oily skin.

2) Apply pure aloe vere gel as matte moisturizer. It rebalance and hydrates skin while leaving a healthy matte not overdried finish that is ideal underneath makeup. It's natural, soothing, cheap!

3) Apply a makeup spray. This keeps makeup on all day and controls oil to an extent. The best are skindinavia and motives no more shines, premiere products inc blue or green marble selrs, ben nye final seal matte sealer and kryolan fixier. They actually work unlike model in a bottle, elf, mac, make up for ever, kat von d, urban decay.

4) If you wish, apply a primer. The best that are free of toxic ingredients are: hourglass veil mineral primer spf15, lorac aquaprime, fyrinnae velvet silica gel and larenim invisipore. They don't make me sweaty like bare esecentuals, laura mercier, urban decay, too faced, smashbox, makeup forever, mac, benefit, lancome, hard candy etc...

5) Finally apply a good mineral powder foundation. The best that are full coverage, buildable without caking and can also be used undereyes, work with oily skin are:

Pur Minerals 4-in-1 Pressed Base

Joppa Full Coverage

Buff'd Cosmetics Conealing

Meow Cosmetics Flawless

GloMinerals Pressed Base

Lumiere Cosmetics Veena Velvet

Everyday Minerals Matte Base

Lucy Minerals Oil Control Foundation

LA Minerals Hollywood or Valley Girl

Ella Rose Minerals Day Time Magic for oily skin

6) If you wear blush, bronzer, luminizer etc make sure it's oil free.

7) Set face makeup with a good finishing powder or veil. The best at controlling oil/sweat without caking/overdrying, breaking you out, oxidizing, feeling heavy, appearing ashy/ghastly in photos are:

Physicians Formula Talc Free Mineral Wear Matte Veil

Mattify! Cosmetics Ulta

Tarte Micronized Clay Finishing Powder

Jurlique Silk Finishing Powder (Rose, Citrus or Lavender)

Meow Cosmetics Top Cat Finishing Powder

Ere Perez Translucent Corn Pressed Powder

L.A. Minerals Oil Control Powder

Youngblood Minerals Mineral Rice Finishing Powder (Loose or Pressed forms available)

Lucy Minerals Oil Control Finishing Powders (silica or calcium carbonate version)

Monave Serecit Setting Powder, Translucent #04

Everyday Minerals Finishing Dust or Everyday Minerals Kaolin Powder

Lumiere Cosmetics Veena Veil or Silk Powder

Buff'd Cosmetics Setting Powder

Flawless Minerals Veil Finishing Powder

Bella Faith cosmetics Pearl Silk Dust

Bellissima Truco Minerale Matte Mineral Veil

Eshiko Powder

Ella Rose Minearls Oil Control Powder

Face Front Cosmetics Helium HD Setting Powder

Aubrey Nicole Rice Powder Veil or Oil Control Powder

8) If you do your eye makeup and brows do them now. Lorac Behind The Scenes and Etude House waterproof10 are the best eyeshadow primers. Layer eyeshadow well. Stick to waterproof gel/cream or liquid eyeliners as they'll outlast the best pencils. Waterproof mascara (tarte, hourglass, pop beauty, lumene, revlon, blinc, the balm, bourjois, eyeko, victorias secret make some of the best waterproof mascaras, superior to bare escentuals/buxom)

9) Reapply one of the sprays that I told you about and allow it to dry. You'll get a healthy satiny glowy matte, not dull, flat or unhealthy. Your makeup will remain fresh in place all day. No retouching, reapplying, blotting, worrying about makeup getting oily or oxidizing, rubbing off/fading throughout the day.

I'm extremely oily and live in a hot/humid climate much of the year. I go from morning to night without problem. Good luck.

Source(s): years of experimenting with my extremely oily skin and mineral makeup

1) I personally don't find it ashy at all.

2) well, i guess you could use it, but it wouldn't provide such a high coverage, this would be okay if you didn't have much under eye circles.

3)It's to set liquid foundation, so if you don't want any more coverage on top of the liquid you already have.

4)Nope, sorry.

5)I think it works really well for oily skin, especially with a primer underneath.

6) I was matched by someone at the counter and it is perfect, but even if the shade isn't just right, it blends in rather well without looking obvious.

:)