Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Somaliland is a country or its part of Somalia ?

I met some guys they told me We are Somalilanders and some others told that they are somali .what difference ?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Somaliland unilaterally declared its independence from the rest of Somalia in May 1991, after the fall of the country's military strongman, Mohamed Siad Barre.

-

Somaliland is an unrecognised self-declared de facto sovereign state that is internationally recognised as an autonomous region of Somalia.

----------------------------

I hope this is helpful.

• 9 years ago

Somaliland is or was part of Somalia, depending upon the views of whom you talk to. Somaliland declared its independence but that's not internationally recognized, and isn't necessarily accepted by others in Somalia (and quite possibly not by everyone in Somaliland).

• Dozo
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

It is a country recognized by fewer people than the Sovereign Military Order of Malta, which is usually considered the country with the most obscure claim of sovereignty.

• 9 years ago

it is in somalia and thus part of somalia but there are parties campaigning for independence , the capital is hargeisha

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.