How do my boyfriend and I get out of a Christmas dinner with his family?

My boyfriend and I usually go over to his family's for most holidays like thanksgiving and easter because I live too far from my family to make the trip there. We got invited to his aunt's house for a christmas dinner and we both don't want to go because they didn't treat me very well on... show more My boyfriend and I usually go over to his family's for most holidays like thanksgiving and easter because I live too far from my family to make the trip there. We got invited to his aunt's house for a christmas dinner and we both don't want to go because they didn't treat me very well on thanksgiving. They were extremely rude and ignored me most of the night. What's a good way to get out of it so we can be alone on Christmas? We're afraid if we tell his mom that we just want to be alone she'll start crying and give us the waterworks and guilt us into go. But I don't think I can be put in an awkward situation again because this time I might not bite my tongue.