Why do Most Americans Own but Not Read the Bible?

Some have these Antique Gold Covered Editions sitting on their coffee table and have no idea what it says. Here is a short article on the subject:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/11/08/most-ame...

And your thoughts...

@Teawitch...I agree about the news doesn't tell us everything but I do feel that it may be somewhat accurate. Even people that claim they have read the Bible cover to cover do not really know what it contains. It is important to pray for guidance and holy spirit but thanks for your comments...all of you...

Best Answer

I thought this to be very poignant.

"So how do we achieve a better alignment of our reported beliefs and observable actions?"

Although the study was of only 2000 people ( it doesn't seem to me,

to be representative of an avg., size city.) it seemed quite accurate and telling.

___________________________________________________________________________

People don't know/ understand the Bible to begin with.

And / or they don't care.

They don't believe in, know, or trust God Almighty aka Jehovah God.

IN turn, they don't know the capacity of love, mercy, beauty, compassion, justice, power, thoughtfulness, tenderness, the longing He has for His own creation, that comes from Jehovah.

I know this is True. Because I used to be one of them; an unbeliever.

And I didn't want someone else's make-believe,

man-made concoction of an invisible God that lives in heaven...(point made)

{I really used to think that anybody that prayed, was certifiably crazy...

talking to some1 that isn't there.}

People reject God, Period.

"We see a lot of media stories about someone complaining about a prayer offered at a graduation, the mention of God by a public official, or the presence of a cross in a military memorial.

We’re often left with the impression that Americans want religion to stay out of everyday life."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/11/08/most-ame...

SEE??.....

Granted I don't want, nor allow "just any ol' body to pray for me / with me."

I don't cause such a ruckus/ disruption/ so as to force changes

for some of the citizens, but, certainly not all of them.

Then, the society becomes 'the majority rules, and the rest, they lose.'

With no regard for ones fellow man, woman and child.

So you are following the a$$umption that people own but do not read the bible. I think that if you actually look at those people, they have more than one. Those who have "Antique Gold Covered Editions" probably also have one by their bed or in another room and actually do read them. The problem is that not all stories (even on Fox news) sometimes don't tell the whole story. Those are probably ones someone gave to them or has been passed down through generations. Some collect those Bibles as art or for their aesthetic value and may not even be christians! But again, news shows only print or show part of the story. They don't always get all sides of it, or they are only doing the stories about the bibles someone or some people collect. Remember, there is always more to a story which is never shown, no matter who the news group is.

Source(s): former reporter.

The problem is most people are not interested in spiritual matters. So they feel, why should I read the Bible?

Before I started studying the Bible, at age 15, my mother had a HUGE white antique gold edge Bible that was untouched in the house. It was the only Bible in the house and I was scared of it. It had pictures in it of Catholic images and depictions of Satan being thrown in a fiery pit, and all this stuff was too scary for me to even touch the book.

I thank Jehovah that I learned what it contains and now I read it everyday. No more fear nor superstition!

John 8:32 "and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

The Bible is the most popular book and has upheld through thousands of years. There is no doubt that inspired by God. Yes, most families have a copy of a beautiful gold leaved bible on their mantel or shelf but don't bother to read and get acquainted with it. Thousand upon thousands of people have died owning or studying it. Its certainly of Divine Origin and it's held up over the many thousands of years.You need to read ad meditate on the bible and whats helpful is a Bible aid to help understand the scriptures. If more people would read and pertain to their lives this world would be a more peaceful place.The Bible is definitely a text book on how to live from the Grand Creator of all.

Most people get a Bible as a gift from some overzealous aunt or they just buy one so they can feel like they are good people. A lot of people don't bother reading the Bible because they can just ask their preacher to tell them what to believe. Fortunately for me, I read my bible all the time. I prefer to know my own religion rather than blindly following.

• ?

The Bible—A Book From God

In what ways is the Bible different from any other book?

How can the Bible help you cope with personal problems?

Why can you trust the prophecies recorded in the Bible?

CAN you recall a time when you received a fine gift from a dear friend? Likely, the experience was not only exciting but also heartwarming. After all, a gift tells you something about the giver—that he or she values your friendship. No doubt you expressed gratitude for your friend’s thoughtful gift.

2 The Bible is a gift from God, one for which we can be truly grateful. This unique book reveals things that we could never find out otherwise. For example, it tells us about the creation of the starry heavens, the earth, and the first man and woman. The Bible contains reliable principles to help us cope with life’s problems and anxieties. It explains how God will fulfill his purpose and bring about better conditions on the earth. What an exciting gift the Bible is!

3 The Bible is also a heartwarming gift, for it reveals something about the Giver, Jehovah God. The fact that he has provided such a book is proof that he wants us to get to know him well. Indeed, the Bible can help you to draw close to Jehovah.

4 If you have a copy of the Bible, you are far from alone. In whole or in part, the Bible has been published in more than 2,300 languages and thus is available to more than 90 percent of the world’s population. On the average, more than a million Bibles are distributed each week! Billions of copies of either the whole Bible or part of it have been produced. Surely, there is no other book like the Bible.

The “New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures” is available in many languages

5 Furthermore, the Bible “is inspired of God.” (2 Timothy 3:16) In what way? The Bible itself

The Bible is the most sold book in the world but the less read......It is because of Satan dont want to people pay attention to the vital truths written in it in order to be save to everlasting life....besides, worldy things ensnare minds of people so they dont have interest in sitting down and put themselves to study....Im about to finish of reading my bible for second time :D

Americans rather watch the History Channel about the holy Christ. We

re much too lazy to skim a page with our eye's.

Most Christians would just rather let their leaders tell them what the Bible says; too much work to actually read it.

Source(s): I've read it cover to cover perhaps ten times, and spent four years studying it in college.
  • ?

Many christians are taught they must believe in Jesus. Most of them dont even bother with the Bible for fear of deconverting.