I need help.! Period question!.?

Ok, so I'm 14 and when I'm on my period I don't sleep or eat muh at all..also I get really bad headaches n feel real dizzy.probably the worse thing is the cramps though.they are unbearable.! They put me in excruciating pain and I can't take it.I take ibuprofen because we don't have any other pain medications..I try putting my heating pad on my stomach and back but it only helps for like 5 minutes..when I'm at school I an barely walk and it hurts so bad.my periods are a regular flow but are irregular so I can't take medicine ahead of time..

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Kasha
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Menstrual cramps aren't normal, and although they are common (less so to the degree you describe) the VAST majority of women can prevent cramps all together with simple lifestyle or dietary changes...

Diet - most important factor; small regular meals of foods rich in essential fatty acids, fresh veggies and fruits (bananas especially), lean proteins and whole grains. Avoid processed foods, simple starches like white breads, heavy dairy products, fatty meats, salt, caffeine, and refined sugars.

Supplements - flaxseed (500mg 3 times p/d), vitamin B6 (100mg once p/d), magnesium (100mg every 2 hours during period), vitamin E in d-alpha tocopherol form (50mg 3 times p/d). Or simply get a good supplement with calcium, magnesium, potassium and iron for menstrual health, and vitamin C to balance progesterone/estrogen.

Herbal - herbal teas such as raspberry leaf, yarrow, lemon balm, black haw, chamomile, red raspberry, wild strawberry, valerian - from health stores, staff there can suggest other ideas too. Also help regulate your hormones by taking Evening Primrose oil, Black Cohosh capsules, or Chaste Tree tincture daily - you can get these from health stores and some supermarkets too.

Painkillers - anti-inflammatory’s; Ibuprofen or Aspirin. Natural; cell salts every 5-10 minutes until pain stops. Non-pill; clary sage oil rubbed into stomach, which supports estrogen production. Ask your doctor for Mefenamic Acid which blocks syntheses of prostaglandin F2 alpha which causes cramps, take 3 times p/d for the first 4 days of your period.

Sanpro - tampons are well-known to increase cramps as they're bad for vaginal health, also they can tug on vaginal walls and expand into the cervix. Switch to menstrual cups - internal like tampons but with many advantages such as being safer, more convenient, and can lessen or stop cramps.

Exercise - anything to stretch abdomen and improve breathing, yoga is particularly good, this video shows postures for cramps - http://www.videojug.com/film/yoga-postures-for-men...

Acupressure - a professional may be good (FYI chiropractic case may also help), but you can stimulate pressure points yourself, this video shows what points to use - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afYHM9y4lJY

Youtube thumbnail

Masturbation - helps by improving relaxation and circulation, during menstruation it’s easier to reach orgasm too so more enjoyable.

Hot/Cold - heat or cold packs can help, if heat works for you then try a warm bath, which will also help you relax and feel more comfortable.

Attitude - we’re constantly bombarded with negative ideas about menstruation; awkward, painful, gross, etc. Really it’s none of these things, but if you believe otherwise then you’re going to be miserable during your period and this will affect you physically. Women with more positive attitudes to menstruation are more likely to find better ways to deal with periods and have easier periods.

If all else fails - see a doctor.

If all else fails cramps could be a sign of a more serious underlying problem. Your doctor should run tests to rule out problems such as endometriosis, and offer appropriate treatment. Some doctors may attempt to prescribe birth control as a quick fix, this may stop cramps by suppressing your cycles, and so depending on the cause of the cramps this may make them worse or just hide the problem. Birth control is an extreme method given the possible side-effects, a doctor should always try to treat the underlying problem, not try to pass you off with birth control.

Stamp Out Cramps (Without the Pill) - http://www.scarleteen.com/article/pink/stamp_out_c...

• 9 years ago

ask your parents for a painkiller specifically made for when you are on your period. or get one yourself from the local pharmacy or any store that sells ibuprofen. and try doing crunches i find they actually help.

Source(s): im a lady yo
  • 9 years ago

tell ur mommy to take u to a doctor n see what what the doctor says ...

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

What's your question?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.