Any alternative medicines for my dog's flea and heartworm pills?

About a year ago, my vet put my dog (then a year old) on pill forms of flea prevention and heartworm prevention (heartgard) and he absolutely HATES both of them. I used to use frontline for his flea medicine but because he's a long haired dog it made it really messy and hard to apply properly so I switched to... show more About a year ago, my vet put my dog (then a year old) on pill forms of flea prevention and heartworm prevention (heartgard) and he absolutely HATES both of them. I used to use frontline for his flea medicine but because he's a long haired dog it made it really messy and hard to apply properly so I switched to pill form. But now he's come to hate his pills. I've tried pill pockets, peanut butter, dog food, crushed it in with dog bones and peanut butter, and he seems to always get around the medicine or just refuses it altogether. Its getting to the point where I dont think hes even ingesting any of the medicine and Im just wasting money. Are there any alternatives forms or some type of strong flavored pills that dogs like that anyone knows of? I thought my dog would love heartgard because my past dogs have, but he hates it. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!