Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

Is it called "en dash" or something else?

ISBN 981-243-466-6

Is the "-" called en dash or something else?

Thanks a lot!

Favorite Answer

"-" is a hyphen. Mostly it's used to break apart a word and continue it on the following line. It's also used to make a compound adjective like "word-processing". And as in your example, it is used to separate parts of a number that belongs in one piece. Some word-processing programs have the capability of forcing the entire number, such as a Social Security number, to stay together on the same line.

"–" is an en-dash. On my iMac it's option+the underline/hyphen key. In casual writing it can substitute for the more formal semicolon ";".

"—" is a long dash or an m-dash. On my iMac it's shift+option+the underline/hyphen key.0

"_" is a one-space underline. It's shift+the underline/hyphen key. I suppose there's a way to put an underline under regular text, but I don't know how to do that.