Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

Is it called "en dash" or something else?

ISBN 981-243-466-6

Is the "-" called en dash or something else?

Thanks a lot!

1 Answer

  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    "-" is a hyphen. Mostly it's used to break apart a word and continue it on the following line. It's also used to make a compound adjective like "word-processing". And as in your example, it is used to separate parts of a number that belongs in one piece. Some word-processing programs have the capability of forcing the entire number, such as a Social Security number, to stay together on the same line.

    "–" is an en-dash. On my iMac it's option+the underline/hyphen key. In casual writing it can substitute for the more formal semicolon ";".

    "—" is a long dash or an m-dash. On my iMac it's shift+option+the underline/hyphen key.0

    "_" is a one-space underline. It's shift+the underline/hyphen key. I suppose there's a way to put an underline under regular text, but I don't know how to do that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.