Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 years ago

Baking with active dry yeast question, I'm making Cinnabon cinnamon rolls..?

I'm using Todd Wilbur's "The Best of Top Secret Recipes" book for the Cinnabon recipe, and it makes 12 rolls. I'm doubling the recipe to make 24 rolls for Christmas. The recipe calls for 1 1/4 ounce package of dry active yeast and to let the dough rise for 1 hour. When I double the recipe, do I need to let the dough rise for 2 hours?

If you've made this recipe do you have any tips? Thanks!

I've never baked with yeast before so I'm not sure.

Thanks Mary!

Favorite Answer

You would be better off making the recipe twice. Doubling it will give you an awful lot of dough to work with all at once.

The rising time is only a guideline. Depending on how warm your house is and the humidity it may take longer to rise or it could take a bit less. When you think the dough has doubled, poke a finger into it. If the indentation remains, the dough has doubled.

Also you may find you need a little more flour to get a workable dough, again, the weather plays a part in the condition of your flour.

• RoyS

When making yeast based breads, you allow the dough to rise until it's approx. doubled in size; the time will depend on the warmth of where the dough is placed to rise. A tip: turn oven on at 350* for 5 minutes, then turn off. Place dough, covered with a clean dish towel, into oven and close the door. Your dough should double in size in about an hour.

• Mary

When you double a recipe you only double the ingredients! The times and temperatures will be the same! TRUST ME ON THIS!