Best way to stop a person about to commit suicide by jumping?

Say that you came up to a rooftop and suddenly discovered a person standing on the edge, spreading their arms out. Should you run or sneak up to them and grab from behind, yell "stop," or gently ask them what they're doing? What would you do?

• gw
    Favorite Answer

ASK THEM IF YOU SHOULD CALL A PRIEST...?

.

Gently ask them what they're doing. Ask them about their story. You need a way to talk them out of it. They are in a delicate state and when you yell and scream at them, it'll cause panic and who knows what'll happen.

I won't try in any way to physically stop them. Probably end up taking ME with them. Besides, if somebody wants to jump, trying to stop them just pіsses them off to try harder. I would talk. I have a lot of positive energy to spare. People are welcome to share it. Maybe a suicide would absorb some of it, might help change his mind. Dunno. I can't control the world, and I might be helpless to change his. But if he really doesn't want to commit suicide (and most don't), he's welcome to take some of my energy to get past his crisis of the moment. And then help him find others who can offer even more energy to him until he's able to generate his own.