What kind of qualification do you need to write for science magazines and websites such as Popular Mechanics?

Is a background in science or journalism more important? Or is there something else? Help, I'm a student in need of some life advice.

3 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Most of the editors who work at Popular Mechanics have regular journalism degrees (though we do have some engineers and at least one editor with a science degree on staff). Our personal interests—whether they're science, technology, or outdoor activities—a whole lot of curiosity and a willingness to ask questions, think critically and get our hands dirty are what make us qualified to work there. Our home and auto editors have tons of shop experience, too.

    However, if you want to work at a science or tech publication, taking courses in those disciplines when you're in college can only help you!

    Source(s): i work for popmech!
  • Brad H
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

    Have a peek at the website for the National Association of Science Writers:

    It has lots of supportive and informative information. I have several science writers I count among my friends these days, and if memory serves... they're all over the board. Some of them studied science in college, while others studied journalism, and still others studied other things entirely. Many active and successful science writers have websites where you can read their brief bios as well, so another source of possible inspiration. Good luck! It's a fascinating field.

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    At least a bachelor's degree.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.