Shannon asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 years ago

Making hummus without tahini?

My 16 month old has food allergies and cannot have dairy, among other things. Hummus has been suggested as a sandwich spread for her, but the doctor suggested no tahini due to the possibility of allergy. I have not been able to find a store-bought version without tahini, and all the recipes I find also contain tahini. What can I substitute for it, or does anyone have a recipe for hummus that does not contain tahini? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Substitute about 1 tablespoon olive oil for the tahini. My wife is allergic to sesame seeds, so she can't have the tahini either. She uses olive oil instead, and it turns out great. She adds different things to it to make it different every time, too. Here is a link to some fun add-ins your daughter might like: http://www.theveggietable.com/recipes/hummusvariat...

• mark

Hummus without tahini would be a puree of chick peas, garlic and lemon juice.

I've made a nice dip that might be close to what you are looking for. Just puree 1 can drained chick peas with 1-2 cloves garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, and 2 tbs olive oil and 2 tbs lemon juice. I like to add 1 tsp cumin as well but that is optional

Also note that this needs to be done in a food processor. It will be too thick for a blender.

Re making hummus: just read today that heating the chickpeas before whizzing them makes for a much more silky, smooth, and creamy end product. And yes, using lemon instead of tahini should make for a tasty hummus. Better make a double batch!

Tahini is sesame seed paste not dairy, I have used roasted sesame oil, even once used almond butter, it is not a big deal, I have even seen people use peanut butter, cashew, walnut and other nut butters, I have a soya butter that taste like bland peanut butter, try it without and find out the exact allergy issues before adding anything she may not be able to have.

Here is a simple and easy hummus recipe that tastes fantastic!!! No tahini involved! I hope this helps!

http://darlingbedaring.com/homemade-hummus-in-3-fa...