Golub
Golub asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Russia · 9 years ago

Would I be discriminated against by other Russians if I am 1/64th Turkish?

My grandfather's twice removed brother's last name is Gasan which I can only assume is of Middle-Eastern origin. So I am probably 1/64th (or maybe even smaller) middle eastern. Although I don't really look middle eastern. I am 6'2, have dark brown hair and blue eyes. Most people say that I don't even look Russian - just a plain white American. So do you think I would be discriminated against if I travel to Russia?

Favorite Answer

You're crazy, all of you out there, sitting in your virulently racist western world and pointing fingers and believing your own fantasies about Russia which has only got as much racism as *you* have managed, via globalisation, to infect it with.

NYC-based "Russian" K2010's chutzpah in pretending to know stuff about Russia puts a darkly amusing twist on basically the same phenomenon.

So...you are like 1.5% Turkish and you don't have a Turkish phenotype but you are worried you will be discriminated against? Are you planning to tell everybody you meet that you are 1/64 Turkish? Lol I don't get what you're worried about. Everybody is 1/64th something anyway....

I am being discriminated in Utah on a daily basis. I am Russian. Go to Russia, but stay in a group of people. Don't hang out by yourself after 7pm. I am following those rules myself when I go to Russia to pay a visit my family.

I agree with Nikolay. American and Western European media sling mud Russian, tell you nonsense that did not exist, and frighten you by Russians Nazism. This is all nonsense. Russian Nazism are sometimes appear to migrants from Central Asia. Due to the fact that migrants are attacking Russians on streets, showing disrespect to the Russian culture and Russian people. If you do not offend Russians, they will be friendly to you and no matter what nationality you are.

Source(s): Im Russian
  • Oirdne

Yes, for sure. You must be at least 6'21 to travel to Russia. They will measure you at Russian embassy before issuing you visa. And if you are not tall enough - sorry.

Source(s): Russian.

In this petty excuse of a world one can be discriminates without any reason whatsoever. In your case i'd start because of asking stupid questions.

Wow...are u serious? We are not as bad as America pictures us! They made you believe that Russia is cold and depressing country with evil coldhearted people living there...Please dont buy that! Most of us have big heart and we actually like foreigners :)

Are you kidding ME? seriously? We arent just all vodka and drunkards and stuff. (well some of us)

but we are nice people!

We wont kill u cuz ur turkish.

It would be a different story if u were Ukrainian.

Source(s): 100/100 russian

x2 to Nikolay.

Kiril, don't be silly, forget all this «discrimination in Russia» bullsh!t and come to Russia any time you want. YOU WILL BE FINE. You're a guest. Whether you Gasan or not — we don't care.

Source(s): Russian living in Russia

Well, I mean it would be way different if you were 2/76th Turkish or maybe 1.5/55th Irish. I think you will be okay.

Unless you are 3/64 Ukrainian.