How much would you pay for a medicine which would either make you better, worse, or have no effect?

I have a friend who is recovering from a bad infection, requiring intravenous injections of antibiotics; the bacteria, originating in a root canal, could, in her words, have traveled to her heart and killed her.

However, she prayed for a good doctor, who was able to fix the problem, even though there was some nerve damage resulting from the damage the bacteria did to her jaw.

She explained to me that she had faith in God. So much faith that, if one of her 3 children were to die, she could accept it, since they are really God's children, and their fate is ultimately in His hands

It seems to me that her attitude about God in her life is a bit like the hypothetical medicine I have described above. Essentially, she is saying that, no matter what the outcome, it is the will of God.

I suppose it is comforting to think that way, since tragedy and death are things no one can escape.

However, it seems just as easy to say that things are as they are, without hypothesizing the existence of some deity that seems to allow some pretty awful things to happen. I know that it commonly explained that this is a "fallen world", and that its outcomes are the result of "free will".

But, it just seems that things happen as they do, and supernatural explanations don't really do much to help us understand why. So, how much would you pay for that medicine?

Favorite Answer

You might want to read this article.

Placebos Are Getting More Effective. Drugmakers Are Desperate to Know Why.

• God has given us all gifts. Each of us is has been given a different combination of gifts, and life experiences. A body without blood is useless. I am not a doctor, but I am grateful that God has given that gift to many. My life is a life of gratitude, for a doctor that gave me my life back. I now am so happy. It is hope that keeps us going, and with life there is hope. Medicine without the Life giver God, is worthless. With God all things are possible. I've lived my life without God, and I wouldn't go back to it. Every action has consequences. If you use tobacco, the outcome will most likely will be cancer. If God would heal the cancer, then there would be no reason to not use the tobacco. There are two kinds of healing, the healing of the mind, and the healing of the body. The physical body can often get sick as a result of the mental stress. The quality of life goes up when you have a clear conscience. Confessing and repenting of our sins to God, releases so much weight off of our mind. God is faithful to forgive us, and to cleanse us of our sins, if that is our desire. God's desire is that none of us would chose to sin, and that we would not hurt ourselves and others. God will not force His will on anyone. I am grateful that God offers me hope in Him for free. The gift is priceless in value. Preventative health care is much less invasive and cheaper, than trying to undo the results of poor living habits. Heeding God's warnings will save you much grief in the end.

Most clinical trials of drugs always contain a placebo that does nothing.. Like prayer..

Just because you can't see the rainbow blind one, doesn't mean it's not there.